Multistreams (1 Viewer)

Rich78

Portal Member
November 22, 2005
Is there any way to output more than one stream simultaneously with Media Portal?

For example I want to watch a movie in one room and another movie in a different room from the same box?

Similarly with music or a combination of both.

Thanks.

Rich78

Portal Member
November 22, 2005
That's a shame but I believe it to be the case with all Media PC's?

Would there be any way of making such a thing possible other than having more than one box which I assume would solve the issue?

x-p-d

Portal Member
August 3, 2006
Hampshire, U.K
Well... i can use VideoLan to stream different video files stored on my PC at once to other computers in my house - and considering Videolan has a built-in tv card-to-network stream capability, then i think you can!

Theorhetically....

You could use Videolan to stream a program on your tv card on one pc, and on another pc you could tell MP to view the stream?

I know Videolan has a network control type thing where you can remotely tell it to start sending/streaming a file, but i havn't used its full potential. I mostly use Filezilla to grab network files from my media centre set top box - i only use Videolan to stream files my set top box cant recognise, because it can convert video files on-the-fly and stream them to my STB.

p.s Videolan is open-source - so MP could possibly utilise Videolan, but thats one hell of a job implimenting that!

hope this helps!

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Well... i can use VideoLan to stream different video files stored on my PC at once to other computers in my house - and considering Videolan has a built-in tv card-to-network stream capability, then i think you can!

Thats not what was asked. He wanted to play multiple media files on the same box, at the sametime.

x-p-d

Portal Member
    August 3, 2006
    Hampshire, U.K
    oh, i see! is there not software out there like ATi's Hydravision where you can have multiple desktops?

You could use Hydravision to have 2 desktops, an instance of MP on each, and as long as you have a dual-dvi output on your graphics card (or even two graphics card) you could send the feeds to two LCDs in different rooms.

And if you had one of those snazzy remote controls & video senders - it could be all wireless! 8)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    DirectX can only accelerate one application at a time, you would not be able to run a second copy on the same machine at the sametime.

x-p-d

Portal Member
    August 3, 2006
    Hampshire, U.K
    Why do Microsoft build so many limitations into XP!

I am pretty sure i've got two instances of video running at the same time, albeit different programs - i'm sure of it!

maybe i disabled overlay in WMP and run videolan at the same time, i'm not sure.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    WMP and VLC do not use DirectX so are not effected.

If you want to try it out, run MP and play back something, then run a game. MP will go black in the background while the game is playing.

Edit: DirectX game that is, OpenGL wont do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom