Music Database Automatic Additions - Problem (1 Viewer)

D3tritus

Portal Pro
February 14, 2008
This is more of a functional how-to question than a bug, so I've foregone the system spec. Let me know if this is and issue and I'll post it.

I've got a bit of a problem with my music database. I have two libraries of music: one for me and one for my kid. These are set up in a folder structure as follows:

Code:
-Music 
    -Me
        -Artist
        -Album
    -Kid
        -Artist
        -Album

I import music into my database from the "Me" portion of the directory structure. That means when I view music in the "Artist/Album" view in Media Portal, I don't get my kids music in there. If I want to play some of my kids stuff, I switch to the "Shares" view and browse to the appropriate folders. This is where the trouble starts...

As soon as I play a track in "Shares" view, it will be added to the database. I really don't want this to happen as my music database fills up with Nursery Rhymes, Ralph McTell, Freddy goes to teddy land and all the miscellanious crap that a toddler listens to. Is there any way of stopping this from happening?

I can't be the only one with this issue. There must be others out there trying to seperate their missus' Whitney records from their Slipknot collection. ;)

Thanks, in advance, for the help!

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi,

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to stop this from happening, it has always worked like that. You are correct there has been a few people that wanted the same as you, but nobody has requested a feature change. I propose you log a feature-change request and hope for the best. The only problem is that MediaPortal is in a feature freeze, so the likelihood of this changing for this release is probably unlikely.

D3tritus

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    Thanks for the help.

I'll not raise a feature request for this, as you say, MP1 is in feature freeze and it will likely be an exercise in futility. I'll wait until MP2 becomes a viable alternative and request the feature then. By all accounts, MP2 is set to be a lot more flexible so, you never know, it may be possible out of the box. ;)

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom