Music Organization (1 Viewer)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Hmmm ok, makes sense, but would be nice if you could somehow combine the artist and albumartist views somehow. If there is an albumartist tag present, then display that in the artist view instead of the artist tag, and use tags like [Compilations - Jazz] for the tags so they appear at the top of the list.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hmmm ok, makes sense, but would be nice if you could somehow combine the artist and albumartist views somehow. If there is an albumartist tag present, then display that in the artist view instead of the artist tag, and use tags like [Compilations - Jazz] for the tags so they appear at the top of the list.

This is not the original problem.
    with combining the views, i get all those "One Hot Wonders" in the artist.
    In m collection for example i have over 11,000 artists, which go down to 1,500 in the Album ARtist view, because there i have filtered on the album level. i.e. if an artist is just appearing on compilatins and doesn't have a complete album on his own, he'll be not displayed in the list.
    But i have always the cahnce to search for him explicitely in the artist view.

So in short, the AlbumArtist View should be your default artist view.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    ***light goes on***

ah ok, I get now. Thanks hwahrmann. Using MPTagThat to fix all the compilations now ;)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Just to have your opinions or someone else who might benefit from it; this is the way I did it.

On a networkshare, which I mapped wiith a driveletter instead of using UNC names (\\server\share) I have created following structure:
    - 26 folder with a genre, some of them have subgenres
    - in those 26 folders, per artist/band I created subfolders with the name of that artist/band. If I have more then 1 CD from this artist/band, again I create subfolders with the title of that cd, otherwise the title of the cd is behind the artist-/bandname.
    - depending on the number of seperate files of an artist/band/genre, I create a '1_Various' folder inside the genre of even under the artist/band folder, depending on the number of files. Notice the '1_', this is in case I want a certain folder to appear at the top of a list. Everything is arranged by name.

This is the format of the files:
    <track N°>_-_<title> for full cd's, since those files are grouped per folder anyway
    <artist-/band name>_-_<title>

and for the folders
    <artist-/band name>_-_<title cd> in case of only one cd from this artist/band, otherwise it's
    <artist-/band name>

I have reworked my collection recently to replace all spaces by underscores and have added folder.jpg files for every folder. Of course all the files are tagged properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom