Music Playback Fullscreen (1 Viewer)

vonson

Portal Member
January 10, 2009
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1

Is there a way of getting the 'Fullscreen' (x-key) behaviour on music playback to the same as the PureAudio Plugin did - a plain black screen (with a topbar on request)? When only playing music I like the screen to be neutral.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You would need to modify the NowPlaying screen (xml file in the skin directory) and set no vizualizations (then now playing is your full screen view).

vonson

Portal Member
    January 10, 2009
    hm, ok, thank you, i will give it a try.
    however, iirc, the now playing screen was still functional with pureaudio when accessed dedicatedly, only the fullscreen key resulted in a black screen. (i think this solution is much better than the default mp one...)
    when i first tried pureaudio i thought this was a bug...

but i will try replacing the now playing screen.

EDIT:
    I had a look for the now playing screen. i thought i may just need to replace some graphic files by black ones, but it seems i was wrong. This xml-stuff i don't understand. hopefully someone with more knwoledge of this may feel the same and will implement this somehow...
    but thanks nonetheless.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is actually a bug in pureaudio that makes this happen there.

I am not sure why you would want a black screen instead of the now playing one anyway but sorry to say I have no plans to implement this within MP.

To achieve what you want you would need to create a plugin that just displayed a blank screen and then map your remote to jump to it.

blubserl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Music Playback Fullscreen

i think i know why vonson wants this :)

a huge bright lcd screen distracts a lot from the music. imho music sounds totally different (more intense, more spatial, more detailed) when the room is dark and you can totally focus on what you're hearing. a black lcd screen is a step in this direction and again imho it makes a difference - so a function in mediaportal which does exactly that is not so absurd as it sounds the first moment. try it out yourself :)

first i also thought of modifying the now playing screen, however leaving a huge lcd tv on to just display a black screen is a waste of energy. to achieve this in a more simple and effective way i programmed a shortcut on my logitech harmony remote to toggle lcd on/off. additionally i installed a vfd screen in my htpc to display what's currently playing and to navigate my music collection without having to turn my tv back on. this also has the advantage that i still have a fully functional now playing screen if i want to see it :)

greetings,

blubserl

vonson

Portal Member
    January 10, 2009
    It IS a bug? funny, i thought this was a very good idea...

as blubserl said the screen can be a huge distraction. for the moment i don't have a sound system, i have to use the speakers built into the tv. esp when friends are visiting i have some music playing in the background while we do other things - but a running screen will always draw everyone's attention to it, invlountarily.

like blubserl i also plan to be able to not use the tv at all (as soon as i installed a sound system) so indeed the black screen option would only be a temporal solution. my intention is to find a cheap android device to control mp. however, blubserl, i'd be interested in the way you did it...

i can perfectly see why there is no intention to implement this. however, i still think it would be a nice option.
    and while we are at it, there are two options i would think an improvement to the now playing screen:
    - an option to disable the artist thumb display in the now playing screen. let it stick to the cover art. (iirc this is not possible atm?)
    - aspect-ratio dependant display on the now playing screen - use the jewel case only on more or less square images, don't use it on images that are rectangular (digipak, dvd-shaped covers, etc). in foobar i use a modified wsh panel to do this and it is really nice, but i'm lost customizing mp...

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The following XML should give you a black screen (I guess):

Add that to the file MyMusicPlayingNow.xml (have config option to not show VU Meter).

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <window>
      <id>510</id>
      <defaultcontrol>33</defaultcontrol>
      <allowoverlay>no</allowoverlay>
      <controls>
        <control>
        <control>
          <description>BG</description>
          <type>image</type>
          <id>0</id>
          <texture>black.png</texture>
          <width>1280</width>
          <height>720</height>
        </control>

</controls>
    </window>

--> Untested, backup file before replacing in skin directory (this is from Default Wide)

vonson

Portal Member
    January 10, 2009
    thank you for this!

I have tested it, but i do know nothing about xml files, so I ran into the following issues:

1. I added the code at the end of the existing file (made a backup before that...)
    result was an error message: 'missing or invalid file.'
    2. I replaced the code completely
    result was an error message: 'missing or invalid file.'
    3. I noticed in the code one line is doubled:
    <control>
    <control>
    so I removed one of these and it seems to work now!

sure it replaces the NowPlaying screen, but I can live with that, I hardly ever use it.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom