Music Scrobble in foreign language (1 Viewer)

Julien Pham

Portal Member
July 11, 2013
Home Country
France France
Hi,

Is there a way to setup the language we want the album/artist information to be retrieved? I'm french and I would prefer the informations to be in french.

In PLEX we can setup the "last.fm" scrobbler to retrieve the informations in any language last.fm has, for instance.

Thanks

Julien Pham

Portal Member
July 11, 2013
Home Country
France France
Thanks.

Are you sure about that ? "The only decent source of other language artist and album info I found was last.fm however they have changed their API recently so that you can not longer get a proper artist bioagraphy in any language which makes it fairly useless now."

I mean, it works fine in PLEX, so why not in media portal?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Julien Pham

Portal Member
    July 11, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    I have installed PLEX only a few days ago, I have put my music there and downloaded the artist info... it was in English. So I deleted my database just this evening, and create it again, then configure it to use last.fm in french, ask for a download, and I got my artist biography in french.

I don't know how they do though. But it seems to work, and it does not look like a Google translation.

Another software, named XMBC, uses a scraper called "universal artist scraper", and for artist info they use TheAudioDb.com and we can configure the language.

This is what I got for the band EDGUY just this evening, with last.fm in french in PLEX:
    "Edguy est un groupe de Power métal venant de Fulda en Allemagne. Avec Tobias Sammet au chant et occasionellement au clavier, Jens Ludwig et Dirk Sauer à la guitare, Tobias Exxel à la basse et Felix Bohnke à la batterie. Leur premier album, "Savage Poetry", est sorti en 1995 puis a été réenregistré en 2000 suivi de "Kingdom of Madness" en 1997. Tous les deux sont sortis alors que les membres du groupe n'étaient que des adolescents."

When I go to last.fm webpage and ask for the same band, the bio is a bit longer, only the first paragraph is put in PLEX.

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    So they have the same issue. IMHO having only the first 300 characters of the biography is of no use.

Keep an eye on musicinfohandler as I am working on something experimental here.

Julien Pham

Portal Member
    July 11, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    You mean this is because they use a scraper that they do not have all the bio?
    My issues with media portal is both about the localized bio, and as well with the artist picture. Dunno why but the fanart plugin is unable to download my artist pictures...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    It is not a scraper but a proper API. last.fm have recently changed this to only allow you to have the first 300 characters of the bio (in any language). There is no way around this other than finding the web page, reading it via code and the storing the full bio which is a pain to code (just breaks as soon as they change anything to do with page layout) and is against the last.fm terms.

If artist pictures are not being picked up by fan art handler then you need to raise this with the plugin dev.

I am working on something at the minute that will help both of these things but it is not ready yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom