[confirm] Music/TV/Pause breaks/stops when turning off tv (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: MP 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 775 1333FSB 2.66Ghz 4MB
HDD: Intel Postville SSD 80GB
Memory: 2x Kingston DDR2 ValueRAM 1GB 667 CL5.0
Motherboard: Asus P5K
Video Card: NVIDIA 9600 (passive)
Video Card Driver: latest
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3: AC3 and DTS: S/PDIF
Sound Card Driver: latest
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: latest
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 10 (SAF 5.00)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow (SAF 5.00)
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 10 (SAF 5.00)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: CAIWAY
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC17b
Cooling: 1x 80 mm fan + 1 x cpu fan
Power Supply: ANTEC
Remote: Microsoft MCE 2005 remote
TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ85
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

A lot of people want to listen to music when their tv is turned off or want to pause tv and turn it off for a moment to do something else. This is possible for Windows MCE, but unfortunately this is not possible for MP because of how it's programmed. Apparently it's too much work to fix this bug, so it will not be fixed according to Tourette (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-turning-tv-hdmi-79597/index2.html#post605330). However, Tourette provides a solution in the post:
"I would suggest to "fix" HW / drivers in such way that you wont get lost HDMI connection when turning off the tv" after that post, the thread was closed :confused:
Offcourse the question everybody is still having is: how am I supposed to "fix" HW/drivers??
I hope the team can help to find a workaround for this bug.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is not possible for us to fix hardware or drivers.

Unfortunately there are some issues within the current MP architecture that will not be easy to fix, if at all.

This is not a bug report, so while I don't want to stifle discussion, I am tempted to suggest that the thread be moved to somewhere more suitable or closed.

Mark

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    if this is not classified as a bug, even though it is caused by how MP is made (as pointed out by Tourette and since Microsoft MC doesn't have this problem), please don't close it.
    Please move it to what you think is more suitable so the discussion can continue and suggestions can be given.
    :D

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I think the key quote from the thread you linked is

MP1 wont ever be able to handle the device lost cases correctly. It's skin engine would require much refactoring to be able to cope with the device resets.

So we may as well leave this thread here so that the bug does not get reported again. However, since any fix would require a major rewrite of the skin engine, I think 'won't ever' is true enough.

Mark

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ok, maybe the MP devs can't fix this, maybe other solutions or workarounds can be found...
    like this one (it's quite rigorous, but it is said to work...):
    Disable 'Monitor Off' detection, how?
    at the end of the thread, modifying cables is provided as a solution of fooling the Windows 7 auto detect tv "feature".
    Offcourse it's insane Microsoft still hasn't provided a bugfix or solution for this annoying problem hundreds of people have...
    The suggested thread is over 16 months old and MS has known this issue all this time :s

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Well, I can understand Microsoft's point of view.

I actually use a multiple monitor setup with a laptop at work. If the desktop wasn't rearranged when I unplug the external monitor, I would consider this to be a bug.

However, there is a difference between rearranging the desktop icons and windows, and stopping music playback.

Either way, the team have looked into this issue and have decided that this is not possible to fix in MP1.

If someone wants to prove us wrong, feel free to go ahead. That is the beauty of open-source.

Best wishes,

Mark

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The discussion is not 'either this or that', the discussion there is: microsoft, make this a configuration option.
    So one can choose what he wants, thats it. The user should be given the option: 'autodetect' or 'always on'. If this option is implemented in a MS update, bugfix or whatever, everybody is happy!
    The current W7 'feature' is just providing service to only a certain group of people and leaves the rest out in the cold without the option to change this...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The discussion is not 'either this or that', the discussion there is: microsoft, make this a configuration option.
    So one can choose what he wants, thats it. The user should be given the option: 'autodetect' or 'always on'. If this option is implemented in a MS update, bugfix or whatever, everybody is happy!
    The current W7 'feature' is just providing service to only a certain group of people and leaves the rest out in the cold without the option to change this...

EDID override should be able to OS to see the display device as "always connected".

EDID Override Thread - AVS Forum

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

EDID override should be able to OS to see the display device as "always connected".

EDID Override Thread - AVS Forum

Thanks Tourette! Little by little we're getting to a working work-around! :)

So what they're saying is, first do the following:
    1. Download and install moninfo: EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager
    2. Get the EDID info from your monitor and receiver
    3. Get this file to start a new INF file to start off with: AVS Forum
    4. Find the following text in the inf file:
    "HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"0",0x01" followed by EDID data (this is for your tv/monitor)
    "HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1",0x01" followed by EDID data (this is for your reciever)
    5. Change the EDID data in the .inf file to what you've found for your receiver and tv (with moninfo) and save the .inf file
    6. Open the device manager, find generic pnp monitor, right click and go into options. Ensure the current driver is for generic pnp monitor.
    7. In properties, click the driver tab and choose update driver, choose 'browse computer', pick from a list of device drivers, have disk and find the EDID override file with the information you want and install it. note: you will get a warning because it is modified.
    8. Reboot your computer

I have the sound directly to my Marantz 4300 5.1 receiver through SPDIF
    Also my Panasonic 42PZ85 Plasma is directly connected to my HTPC through HDMI (so not via my receiver)
    Are the above steps the way to have my HTPC think the receiver and TV are 'always connected'? Or do I have to do something different from the description in the avsforum thread?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Another option is a little box called HDMI detective. They cost a fair bit but it solved all my issues with things like
    wrong resolution on resume from s3
    Loss of connection when changing input on amp
    Loss of connection when I turned tv off but left amp on

This is basically a hardware EDID override solution (I am using XP so can not use the above method). Not cheap but does work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom