Ongoing My 500.00 US$ HTPC (1 Viewer)

Concurser

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
Hello folks,

Money restriticions:
-I am a third world citizen AND although I receive a pretty much good wage for my country standards (33,000 US$/year net income) eletronics are high taxed (ranging from 30 thru 60% over US prices) here and usually we are pushed to smugle parts from neiboring countries where parts cost something similar to US prices.
-I did set a expense limit of US$ 500.00 to assemble my HTPC, does not mattering where the parts come from (so, yes, I am serious about bringing some parts from those neigboring countries).

-Software: my idea is at the beggining have a dual HTPC configuration; one partition having WinXP+MediaPortal, one partition having Linux+MythTV (Knoppixmyth probably) and a third partition holding all media files. This third partition will also offer a shared directory for synchronizing sensitive files from my notebook. As time goes on I will kick one of those HTPC frontends if it turns to be inferior.

-Needs that go a bit beyond of what MediaPortal or MythTV may offer:
a) Wake up capabilities for recording, alarm clock, etc.
Easy plugin development for customization (MediaPortal plus)
c) MAME and other emulators interface integrated within the htpc frontend software.
d) DVD ripping (almost sure MediaPortal does not provide - need to develop a plugin to talk to DVDShrink or other)
e) Radio recording (FM or stream) is a nice thing to have also.
f) Integrated frontend for burning easily media content to a CD or DVD.
g) I don't care about NOISE or CASE SIZE, since we are working with very such strict budget.

-TV set: 21 inches CRT flat screen television that has only S-video and component video input.
-Speaker set: will buy a 5.1 speaker set later, implies that the onboard sound must be able to talk to this set

-Hardware (HERE I NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE HERE, REMEMBER MY BUDGET)
200-250 GB SATA Hard disk
AMD or Intel low-end platform with low power consumption (NEED ADVICE HERE)
Motherboard offering integrated sound supporting 5.1 or 6.1, SATA and LAN.
Good cost/benefit video card offering TV out support (NEED ADVICE HERE)
512 MB RAM
Best cost/benefit TV Tuner board (NEED ADVICE HERE, DO I NEED HARDWARE ENCODING???)
DVDRW (Good brand...NEED ADVICE HERE)

LAST OBSERVATION: 500 MINUS 60-70 bucks for an horizontal CASE!!

PRETTY TIGHT, HUH?

Help me folks!

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i think you need to edit th epost to remove the comma and put in a decimal place :) , at glance at the subject line it reads as 500 thousand dollars US. :)

Concurser

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
Sorry about using the comma....

a) So...letting it clear MY BUDGET IS US$ 500.00 ...I corrected the first post.

b) I can "order" parts from some smuglers that bring the parts from a neigboring country, which the prices are close from what is seen on Newegg or TigerDirect. So you guys can just look at those places to try to point me to the right parts. OK?

KeesVDP

Portal Member
May 2, 2006
I'd scratch the SATA drive and just get an ide hard drive. I've got an IDE 200GB and it works fine.

I would try to find a cheap board/CPU bundle, not sure if thats an option for you though.

Concurser

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
Motherboard hard to find

One issue that I have right know is to find the motherboard

I was thinking of getting an AMD 939 CPU.

The funny thing is, I can't find any motherboard with the following specs:
-Supports AMD 939 (good cost/benefit)
-MicroATX form (to fit on an horizontal case)
-Onboard video with TV OUT or no onboard video at all (to plug to the TV)
-onboard sound with SP/DIF OUT (to plug home theater speakers)

Guys, could you help me ??

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, help...help... Maybe I can complicate your problem a little bit more. If you want to use Linux, be sure that you get only part with decent drivers available.
Most heard of item: For video cards/chipsets that used to mean: steer away from ATi, but I'm not sure how their present support is. (I've tried Linux once and decided to let it be for the time being, due to my exessive lazyness and the existence of MP, a rather good combination. :wink: )

Concurser

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
You are right, driver support for Linux is poor and I'll just create that KnoppixMyth partition to try it out...

I still struggling for the motherboard....
Sp/DIF out + TV out or no video at all + MicroATX seems a rare thing...

onkl said:
Well, help...help... Maybe I can complicate your problem a little bit more. If you want to use Linux, be sure that you get only part with decent drivers available.
Most heard of item: For video cards/chipsets that used to mean: steer away from ATi, but I'm not sure how their present support is. (I've tried Linux once and decided to let it be for the time being, due to my exessive lazyness and the existence of MP, a rather good combination. :wink: )

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
April 22, 2005
Maastricht
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,

A good Socket 939 is the MSI RS482M4-ILD. It includes s-video, component video, composite video, vga Sub-D port and a DVI port. With these possibilities you can connect any display you want, even through HDMI (this is by use of a simple DVI-HDMI converter cable).
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=693

There are also MSI mainboards based on the NVidia 6150 chipset.
They seem to perform even a bit better (HDTV) but both ATI as NVidia should do just fine.

Success,
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom