Completed My 56TB (and growing) file server. (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well BluRay ISOs takes up alot of space :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    just to give you small comparison number:
    The system consumes ~ 45W when all harddrives are idle. Without the harddrives and tv-card i was able to drop the system below 20W (i think that is really an amazing number for a quad core system).
    The hds are only used for 1-3h a day so they are set to spin down after 30minutes. i know that it is probably not the best for the drives as start/stop cycles are more dangerous than running all the time but i guess 1-2 stop cycles a day won't break them that fast. Usually i tend to keep them until the bigger drives get cheaper but since the flood that plan hasn't worked out.

If you plan to get a good cpu with low power consumption you might take a look at the new ivy bridge cpus from intel as they are pin compatible to sandy bridge and even use less power.

By spinning down the drives and using a smaller energy hungry cpu you could save some power. In my area 270W running 24/7 would be nearly 500€ / year just on energy costs.

Thanks for the tip, I'm actually looking into just getting just getting something like the Intel Pentium G630T since it's almost half the price of the I3, and it's a 35w part aswell, and I'm not really sure if SB/IB wil give me a performance boost.

The main problem about the spindown is that my server is accessed most of the day and also quite often during the night so I'm not 100% sure that spinning down the drives will make that much of a difference. Perhaps if I could find some way to do a timed spindown, say after 30 minutes between midnight and 9am or something like that.

It seems that you're in the same pickle as me when it comes to harddrives, I also used to get larger drives once they hit a good pricepoint and then move the old ones into off-site bacup. An even though the flooding really messed that up, but luckily I managed to get the 20 drives I needed for the new build before the prices started rising so I do have some time to go before I'm stuck. My big problem atm is that Samsung sold off its HDD-business, and it's the only manufacturer I trusted with my data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom