Completed My HTPC project (Rel.1) finished (1 Viewer)

Nightflyer

Portal Member
November 19, 2006
Espoo
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi there,

After couple of months planning and one month building, my first HTPC project is finally up and running.

MediaPortal Version: Server&Client SVN
Windows Version: XP Home SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
CPU Cooling: SilverStone Nitrogon SST-NT01 v2.0
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T133 (400 Gb, sata II)
Memory: 2*1 Gt, 800 MHz DDR2
Motherboard: Intel DQ965GF
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Q965
Video Card: Asus GeForce 7600GS Top Silent
Sound Card: SigmaTel* STAC9227
1. TV Card: Technotrend C-1500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
2. TV Card: Technotrend C-1500
2. TV Card Type: DVB-C
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
CableTV Provider: Welho
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: 2 X Antec Fusion standard fans
Power Supply: 430W Antec
Remote: Logitech Coordless Desktop S510 Media Remote
TV: Hyundai Q321 32inch
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

Setup at the moment. Medion dvb-c box will leave the house soon, as well as old CD-player. I had some problems with Logitech desktop USB-station when it was placed in the back of case together with USB-WLAN dongle. They propably disturbed each other, so I moved it to the front.
CRW_3022.jpg

Modification 1: I took the speed switches of Antec case fans out of the case (that hole was ready for it...) and planted them to the back of the case. Fans are running with 5v (easy to mod, just open the plug, move the wires from 12v side to 5v side and close with tape). They were way too noisy when on 12v. They still produce enough flow for cooling with 5v.
CRW_3020.jpg

Modification 2: I turned case fans around. They are now blowing air in to the case. I feel that cooling is way more efficient this way. Air flow is really optimal: through CPU-cooler and over the memory banks towards display card cooling elements and out of the case from the back vents
CRW_3019.jpg

CPU cooler and display card were choosen with best possible silent cooling in mind. Nitrogon has already been seen here, it fits perfectly to this case & mb. This configuration is not as silent as I was hoping for. I tested Scythe SFF21D (800rpm) case fan, but it had a disruptive whirr. Low but still loud enough to be heard. Switching Antec fans from 12v to 5v made them more silent than Scythe 21D.
Temperatures still stay low. After couple of hours with high load, CPU was 32C, MB temperatures around 45-53C (didn't check display card temperature). I suppose fans could run even slower. There is still two higher speeds to switch if needed...

I'm really happy with Logitech S510 remote (after I found out how to configure it to work with MediaPortal). It has just couple of buttons, but well enough for all MP functions. Keyboard is needed only for text-tv (place for dev suggestion, change text-tv page with left-right-buttons...).

Antec Fusion is great case. But if I would start all over again, I would start with a tower-type of case. Just because it is really difficult to get this silent enough. I think that with more room in the case and case standing on the floor it would get easily more silent.

A

PS. I'm real fan of MP. It is absolutely amazing piece of software. Almost every day I find something nice and useful, and haven't yet even tested everything. GREAT WORK!!!
Just hoping to see DVB-subtitles...

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    very nice setup mate

have the same case and first thing ill do when i go home is to put the fan switches outside the case as you did great idea.

and i think you also convinced me about nitrogon

it look to fit perfectly in the case.

very nice rig mate!!

Nightflyer

Portal Member
    November 19, 2006
    Espoo
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    very nice setup mate
    and i think you also convinced me about nitrogon

it look to fit perfectly in the case.

Thanks,

Nitrogon really is a tight fit. There is no space at all between case fans and cooling element. But it fits.

If you get it, be careful when placing it to your motherboard and to the case with motherboard. Insulation on the metallic back-piece is really too thin, I think. I added extra insulation rings, to prevent it from short-circuiting wires on motherboard. And don't tighten it too hard.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Modification 2: I turned case fans around. They are now blowing air in to the case. I feel that cooling is way more efficient this way. Air flow is really optimal: through CPU-cooler and over the memory banks towards display card cooling elements and out of the case from the back vents
    Interesting. I believe Antec is one of the best when it comes to "mainstream"-cases, in particular when noise and cooling is of the essence.

One would therefor think that Antec would know which way the fans should be mounted for optimal effect.

Not saying you are wrong, but I somehow doubt Antec are to...

Tip: For further silencing, have a look at Speedfan.

Nightflyer

Portal Member
    November 19, 2006
    Espoo
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Interesting. I believe Antec is one of the best when it comes to "mainstream"-cases, in particular when noise and cooling is of the essence.
    Tip: For further silencing, have a look at Speedfan.

(Oops, didn't notice this reply until now.)
    Well, temperature readings from MoBo showed it is better this way. But of course it depends on MoBo layout, CPU cooler model etc. And I only tested it once. I'm still happy with the temperatures, after one month of running...

Thanks for the hint, I'll check Speedfan. Only problem is that fans are now connected directly to PSU. I believe they should be connected to MoBo for Speedfan to be able to control them.

I made another modification to get noise level lowered:
    Harddrive noise started to annoy me. It doesn't really give much noise, but it was resonating with the case. Padding of HD rack wasn't good enough. So I took couple of rubber bands and put them around HD and upper part of HD-rack. Now HD is hanging in the air with rubber bands, and it is totally inaudible.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for the hint, I'll check Speedfan. Only problem is that fans are now connected directly to PSU. I believe they should be connected to MoBo for Speedfan to be able to control them.
    Correct. Also worth mentioning: Someone made a Speedfan plugin for MP recently! :)thx: )
    I made another modification to get noise level lowered:
    Harddrive noise started to annoy me. It doesn't really give much noise, but it was resonating with the case. Padding of HD rack wasn't good enough. So I took couple of rubber bands and put them around HD and upper part of HD-rack. Now HD is hanging in the air with rubber bands, and it is totally inaudible.

This is a known method of silencing HDDs, I believe. We call the rings "O-rings" over here. They are, however, rather hard to find in correct size. Which size did you use?

Nightflyer

Portal Member
    November 19, 2006
    Espoo
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Correct. Also worth mentioning: Someone made a Speedfan plugin for MP recently! :)thx: )
    Nice, have to check that as well.
    This is a known method of silencing HDDs, I believe. We call the rings "O-rings" over here. They are, however, rather hard to find in correct size. Which size did you use?
    I had big bunch of old "o-rings", just selected the ones that matched most closely(and broke couple in the process...). They are a bit too thin, so I have to replace them after a while. I'm hoping to find stronger ones from a local shop selling all kinds of plastics.

etnpnys

Portal Member
    January 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Follow-up

I have the same mouse/keyboard. I love them, but were you able to get the media buttons to work properly? (The ones on the right side of the keyboard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom