Ongoing my living room music jukebox htpc - in progress!! (1 Viewer)

Vaaish

Portal Member
June 19, 2006
Greenville, SC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
How do you restart the PC when/if it crashes or needs updates? Did you feed an extension to the power button somewhere in there? Looks to be the start of a pretty awsome setup. :)

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
If you had done it with a touchscreen that would have been super cool!

Not sure about having the PC outside!! :shock: Bugs, dust, weather & climate changes - sounds like bad news to me.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Marcusb said:
    ...It's pretty much impossible to control a laptop LCD screen from a regular PC as there are proprietary controls used by the notebook maker and almost no information about them.

Marcusb - Not true! Although I thought so too for the longest time. There is a company that will be selling converters/controllers (only press release now) that will allow VGA (analog RGB, or DVI input) signal to drive a LCD flatpanel!

EqualRightsForWerewolves - "typical computer monitor lcd" Duh! :oops: Now the light :idea: goes on over my head! Should have been a hammer.

Mike

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    fathead said:
    Not sure about having the PC outside!! :shock: Bugs, dust, weather & climate changes - sounds like bad news to me.
    Yeah, that was my first thought.

I thought of putting a system in the attic in a sealed/insulated plastic storage box but with a rigged input vent from the main house and a protected exhaust vent that could go to the house or attic. I planned on a remote power/reset switches and to use vnc to do maintenance.
    As long as it draws it's air from the house somewhere the inside of the box shouldn't get too hot, cold or humid.
    Perhaps he could modify his setup along those lines.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    that photo actually makes it look a lot more 'outside' then it really is :p there's a workshop area under the house, where i've got my main server housed, and this box is only a couple of feet away from that. but i'll definetly be keeping an eye on the conditions under there to make sure it's all good.

no fancy remote power or anything - i use the mce remote to put it into s3 standby when i'm not using it, so the only time it is powered down totally is after a blackout. then i just go down to the workshop and switch it back on manually. i'm using vnc for all remote maintenance.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    EqualRightsForWerewolves said:
    no fancy remote power or anything - i use the mce remote to put it into s3 standby when i'm not using it, so the only time it is powered down totally is after a blackout. then i just go down to the workshop and switch it back on manually. i'm using vnc for all remote maintenance.

You could always set the BIOS power management to "last state" so that even after a power blackout you would still have working music without having to run downstairs :)

All in the interests of easier living...

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    i tried that, but no bios setting was there for it. i was actually suprised when i found it supported wake on usb!! :wink:

hobbes487

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2005
    Home Country
    This is exactly what I have been thinking about doing. The only problem i have is the same as you had: $0 budget. :(

So i have been looking around for some people selling there "broken" lcd screens for really cheap. I would love to grab one of these if i thought i would be a ble to fix it. How likely is it that I would be able to easily fix an lcd by replacing a cable or something? What kind of 'syptoms' are easily fixed?

I'm asking you because you said you work in a computer store and seem much more knowledgeable than me. :D

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    honestly it's not that likely - most of the problems i've seen with lcds are caused when the backlight goes, and that's not easy to replace if it's not under warranty. :( you can tell if it's a backlight problem, because there will be an image on the screen, it'll just be very dark. the one i scored had no image when it came in to the store - it was only on an off chance i decided to take the screws off the back and at the same time swapped the cable over.

i think your best bets to check regularly on ebay for old screens with dead pixels (pixels which are always on, or always off, or sometimes a whole line goes like dead), or a broken plastic frame or something - which is still hard when you've got a $0 budget!!

i know the frustration of a $0 budget very well... right now i'm trying to offload a whole bunch of junk on ebay so i can afford to replace a dodgy dvd drive in my main htpc. it's skipping like crazy and the waf takes a major hit whenever a movie stops half way through!! :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom