Completed My Mediaportal Server Setup (2 Viewers)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
it's not a problem when your mobo or your raid card dies. Just buy a new one with the same chipset in the mobo's case or the same raid card in card's situation. Of course you can't always do that.

wollo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Now obviously your milage may vary, but with some light benchmarking I found software raid faster by quite some measure than fakeraid (I like that name for it by the way). I had3 drives reportingas faulty with my ich10 raid. I lost my 4.6TB array twice in 4 weeks. Thankfully I only lost 30 gigs of tv. The rest was backed up on my QNAP 209 NAS.
    I am running a serverversionof windows (2003). I know the read/write ona true hardware raid card would be faster but so far windows software raid is doing everything I need. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Bill.

krikkit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2008
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    this "rack" seems like someone has way to much money...

but by the way 6-disk Raid 0 ...lol thats crazy, the probability that you loose your data is 6 times as high as with one single disk! ..and why raid 0 ? event a single disk can read/write more data than you can transfer via gbit lan

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

I had 1 of the servers already and all the parts for the second one except the drives and case, I had the monitor, kvm switch. All the rest mostly came from ebay, tripplite was $40, netgear switch was $70, lcd mount was $80, keyboard was $50, and the rack rails were $40, so you can think what you want but compare all this to the cost of the movies and tv shows that it has on it and I am pretty sure I am under that.

And just because you cant do it dont mean I have too much money.

but by the way 6-disk Raid 0 ...lol thats crazy, the probability that you loose your data is 6 times as high as with one single disk! ..and why raid 0 ? event a single disk can read/write more data than you can transfer via gbit lan

I am actually setting up the backup with freeNAS raid5 right now but the main server will remain raid0

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

I had 1 of the servers already and all the parts for the second one except the drives and case, I had the monitor, kvm switch. All the rest mostly came from ebay, tripplite was $40, netgear switch was $70, lcd mount was $80, keyboard was $50, and the rack rails were $40, so you can think what you want but compare all this to the cost of the movies and tv shows that it has on it and I am pretty sure I am under that.

And just because you cant do it dont mean I have too much money.

I am actually setting up the backup with freeNAS raid5 right now but the main server will remain raid0

can you give a little bit more of information about the backup with freenas when you are finished? i watched some demostration videos yesterday and looks quite interesting but it looked more of a online sharing tool rather than a backup option.

i totally agree with you on the money stuff, it was useless the comment of krikkit on "you have too much money". my server is much simpler and cheaper, but each one has its limit. i hate when people do this, and maybe they are running a better car or have a bigger house ;)

whaase

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I like it. Nice clean setup.

I was going to suggest SyncBack for syncing between servers, but if your thinking freeNAS, then it has rsync built in.

I almost went with freenas, but I opted for Ubuntu Server. I liked the idea of the ability to grow a raid as I run out of space. And the linux raid is much faster then bsd (almost twice as fast from my testing).

Keep in mind aswell. If your main server is 6*1.5 raid0 that's a little less then 9TB or so. Same drives in a Raid 5 is a little less then 7.5TB.

I understand what you are trying to do with using the raid 0, but as others have said, that is dangerous. And after reading all the issues with 1.5 and 2TB drives still, I'd really be scared lol we flat out refuse to use them in our servers at work until they have a better track record. They remind me of the 20 gig drives when they first came out. Lots and lots of dead drives that we tossed/returned

Just some food for thought.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I understand what you are trying to do with using the raid 0, but as others have said, that is dangerous. And after reading all the issues with 1.5 and 2TB drives still, I'd really be scared lol we flat out refuse to use them in our servers at work until they have a better track record. They remind me of the 20 gig drives when they first came out. Lots and lots of dead drives that we tossed/returned

Just some food for thought.

i must agree with this as i was going to buy a Seagate 1.5Tb drive. Then i started reading forums and it is a known and admitted issue that there is a problem with the firmware.

can not risk my data so i will also wait to see if things get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom