My Music: album artwork and "compilation" grouping (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

like many people with iPods, i use Apple's iTunes as my music management application. in MP i have configured the My Music module to point to my iTunes music repostiory. Like many, I use the default install settings and allow iTunes to automatically organize my music repository by directories in the form: <artist>\<album>\<title>. album artwork (if available) is stored with information in each media file, and the minimum ID3 tags used are either v1.1 or v2.3 (depending on the data entered in for each song.)

for instance, if you add an mp3 with v1.1 ID3 tags to your iTunes repository, then manually add album artwork and select the "Part of a compilation" setting, it will add the v2.3 ID3 tags and store the relevant artwork and flags.

MP does not seem to recognize the artwork for these iTunes-edited tags. it also does not group compilations (as set in >v2.3 flags) together as one album. if these two features were implemented in MP, it would nicely polish off the My Music module, since it is otherwise wonderfully complete.

let me know if you have any other questions or need me to provide example files, etc.

thx !

A

Anonymous

now that i think about it... what if the My Music module was written with a "Use iTunes database" option ? i have not explored what all is in the recently release iTunes SDK that apple release but here is more info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dancre/archive/2004/05/08/128645.aspx

since frodo is the .Net king, i would assume this might be trivial to implement. if not, i am not sure if MP could be made to directly use the iTunes db file normally located at "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\CD Info.cidb".

i hope this may stimulate someone's interest or perhaps an even better idea that i haven't thought about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom