My Netflix alternative (now development has been halted) (1 Viewer)

AlexanderIanHall

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2011
    With MyNetflix development halted I've been looking for a way to have a usable Netflix solution with MediaPortal. After a bit of Googling I came across a post in one of the MP sub-forums that provided the basis for a solution.

The post in question is here and uses Netflix within Media Center (MCE). I have this now set up and working on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and am pretty pleased with the results. When clicking on 'Netflix' within MediaPortal Basic Home my HTPC now minimizes MP, launches MCE straight into Netflix. I can control Netflix via my remote control (Harmony 880 and standard MCE remote).

The only issue I've found so far was I couldn't exit Netflix back into MP unless I used a keyboard (ALT+F4) or a Mouse. However with my Harmony Remote I have added the following device: Media Center PC->Microsoft->MCE SE Keyboard, and this gives me an ALT+F4 command that I have mapped to Exit on my Harmony. I could get more sophisticated using some additional remote control software but I'm happy with this solution for now.

Credit to the original poster and also to the author of this post on AVSForum (read Section 12.4).

Alex

AlexanderIanHall

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2011
    Just to follow up on my original post. It is 2 weeks later and I have been using Netflix within MCE quite a lot. Overall the experience is positive and works well. The only issue I have found so far that I dislike is that MCE doesn't support subtitles for the Netflix plugin. I'm not sure if this is a Netflix or Microsoft issue. It's a shame as the rest of the solution works well.

For now I will use a standard browser when I need subtitles, or the MCE approach when I don't.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom