My problem with MY (1 Viewer)

ivars

Portal Member
October 20, 2006
Launceston
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all from a noobie. I'm new to HTPCs and to this forum. I've been looking around at different HTPC software and MediaPortal seems to be the way to go. I'm in the process of wadding through the documentation but have not been able to find an answer to an aspect of MediaPortal which really gets up my nose :mad:

I am a grumpy old man (who lives in Australia). As such it really irritates me that so much computer speak these days involves the use of “MY”. I blame M$ who probably started this egocentric thinking with their “My Computer”. Whilst I found GB-PVR clunky, I did appreciate that their menu items did not resort to the superfluous use of “MY”. I know, you young people probably find this trivial, like I said I am a grumpy old man.

Is there any way in which I can modify MY MediaPortal installation to remove the constant use of that word? Apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere but I've search and come up with nothing.
:D

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm young, Australian, and don't like "My".

I don't know at what version the ability to remove "My" came in, but for some time now (I use SVN's) I've noticed you can in MediaPortal Setup go to General, Skin, and uncheck Use String Prefixes.

Hope that helps,

ivars

Portal Member
    October 20, 2006
    Launceston
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry! I feel really dumb, but I go to general,skin and all I see is a list of possible skins. No option to turn off 'string prefixes'. Too many brain cells destroyed?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    You may have an older version of MP.
    What version are you running?

The option only appeared in one of the later stable patches, but at any rate, if you instal v.2 and then apply stable patch .2.4 you'll find a lot of nicer newer features, including being able to remove "My".

In earlier versions you had to modify the config file, so this is easier.

Links to the patches are at the top of the MP home page. The patches have been pretty well tested, so you shouldn't find any bad surprises in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom