MyForum plugin or kind of? (1 Viewer)

BigCheese

Portal Pro
January 13, 2006
Germany
HI,
just wondering if it would be possible to make a plugin that can read phpbb forums and display it in MP to read it confortable...

or would this be to many work and the internet plugin would be better for it?
hm...
would be great to read the MP forum here with MP direcly ;)
perhaps it would be easy to just access the databases directly?

bye,
BigCheese

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    ah, great, have to try this out :)

update: hm... ok, tried it with my avant browser... ok, i can see the headings of the articles, but when i want to read it, it redirects me to the real html forum - is this different with mediaportal?
    actual i am not at home, so cant try it...
    is it really good, or is the format then not so good and hard to read...?

thanks,
    BigCheese

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    BigCheese said:
    ah, great, have to try this out :)

update: hm... ok, tried it with my avant browser... ok, i can see the headings of the articles, but when i want to read it, it redirects me to the real html forum - is this different with mediaportal?
    actual i am not at home, so cant try it...
    is it really good, or is the format then not so good and hard to read...?

thanks,
    BigCheese

This is the normal behaviour for a RSS feed, at least for those i need. MP does not open a browser window, but a MP-popup containing the site's content that normally would be opened in a browser. this results in some weird characters, so you will have to scroll down to read the data..... you'll see when you try it. anyway, since the popup is not active there are some restrictions, meaning you can't post / reply sth of course and you can only view the first site of the thread!

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    hm... ok, so for the limitations....
    i think then it would be not too bad to have a plugin which displays everything correct and convenient to read... and of course to post something...

up to now i don't have looked in the source code of the forums, but i believe some kind of spam mechanism is there so no one can post directly in the database... but will find this out...
    I already have made a plugin where i can access our mysql database and read messages, so i think it can't be that hard...
    problem will probably be the database access user, because at a forum only the script on the page have one user to access the database... and the script is the interface to the members of the forum...
    but will see :)
    solution for this problem could be a set of php server files, which must be installed as plugin for the database by the admin of the forum - and then MP could interact with this set... hm...
    or parsing the html page...
    or any other suggestions?

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    I come to the clonclusion that parsing the html file would be the best solution, because its open to all phpbb forums...
    i looked at the html sourcecode of the forum-pages, and there is always <span> with names in it - so i think it is not to hard to parse the correct entrys... for posting perhaps the original php source have to be recoded in C#.... but will see then... reading is first priority i think...

bye,
    BigCheese

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    A forum plugin would be nice :)
    I use the rss to check for replies, and it works but it's not very good. It's not so important to be able to write. Reading is nice but writing reminds me of work :p

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    hm... ok, made some tries... really a hack because i am not good at coding... but here are first screenies... have not decided yet how to display the threads in detail...

bye,
    BigCheese

myforums_1.jpg
    myforums_2.jpg
    myforums_3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom