MyLyrics 0.15 - Comments and bug reporting (1 Viewer)

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi all

A new update which once again had it focused on performance improvements and bug fixing. Version 0.15 also have some formatting fixes.

Please report all bugs and comments to version 0.14 in this thread. In this way I hope the My Lyrics Plugin subforum will have a limited number of threads and wont become too messy.

This version holds dll's for both a clean MP 0.2.2.0 install (default) and the latest SVN build. See the readme.txt for install.

My Lyrics - version 0.15

Basic features:
    - Dynamic search for lyric matching currently playing music file
    - Batch search for lyrics matching songs in music database
    - Add/delete/edit lyrics to database
    - Reading of lyrics in music tags
    - Support for lrc-files.
    - No longer Google ws dependencies; heavily improved performance and no Google license key required to gain full support!

Changes from version 0.14 to 0.15:
    - Fix: A LOT of performance improvemence issues and code-clean up
    - Fix: One lyric site added (HotLyrics), and one removed (SeekLyrics) due to instable server
    - Add: Timer on batch search in configuration mode.
    - Fix: A special formatting on SeekLyrics sites wasn't handled causing fetched of an incomplete lyrics
    - Fix: For some users the tag reader added an additional space causing the search to fail.
    - Fix: Various minor fixes on all the formatting on lyrics fetched from SeekLyrics
    - Fix: Handling of special German and Danish letters

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Already tried it last night (svn version). No bugs found.
    Ran it from config and played a couple of songs with B2.

Performance seems to be improved greatly.

Thanks for your hard work

tomtom

Feffe71

Portal Member
    October 4, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Mackey,

I think i did found a small bug... it seemes like letters which (I'm, don't) shows like this in MP I?m, don?t (using SVN) But not in all songs, quite confusing?

Thank you for a very great job Mackey

Gaukaren

Portal Member
    January 23, 2007
    I think i did found a small bug... it seemes like letters which (I'm, don't) shows like this in MP I?m, don?t (using SVN) But not in all songs, quite confusing?
    I posted about this in the 0.14 thread. It goes for most non-ASCII characters, including accents and umlauts. In the case of the ['] it happens when the lyric is using a more unusual character such as [´] or [’] in it's place.
    After a brief look around the lyrics sites, it seems that most of my issues might stem from the fact that a couple of them claim the content type to be utf-8, while in reality it's often not (typically ISO-8859-1).

I poked a bit around your sources, but C# isn't my strong suit, so any chance of an character set override? For instance coupled with an 'update this entry' dialog in the database browser?

Gaukaren

Portal Member
    January 23, 2007
    This might not be your bug, but a problem nonetheless. I'm experiencing the same issue as reported in this thread (using latest SVN), where MyLyrics always starts writing inside the directory belonging to the visualization when using certain Sonique plugins with the BASS player and to the first subdirectory under visualizations if I first enter the visualization tab in config having any WMP-vis selected. Are you writing Lyrics.xml to the current directory rather than explicitly to the MediaPortal install directory?

Edit: I can also confirm that the problem where the lyrics for files that are only tagged with ID3-v1 does show up in config but not in MediPortal proper is present in 0.15 + SVN.

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I posted about this in the 0.14 thread. It goes for most non-ASCII characters, including accents and umlauts. In the case of the ['] it happens when the lyric is using a more unusual character such as [´] or [’] in it's place.
    After a brief look around the lyrics sites, it seems that most of my issues might stem from the fact that a couple of them claim the content type to be utf-8, while in reality it's often not (typically ISO-8859-1).

I poked a bit around your sources, but C# isn't my strong suit, so any chance of an character set override? For instance coupled with an 'update this entry' dialog in the database browser?
    Hi Gaukaren and thanks for the hint. I know that I don't handle the streams 100% but have yet not been able to find the correct way of doing the conversion so everything is formatted just right. It is a quite complex area and I've until now found the time or motivation to study the area thoroughly. Right now I cannot tell you much about the differences between ASCII, ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-9, ISO-8859-1 and other character sets. I have hoped to find a C# "how to" manual on this issue but haven't had the luck until now.

I might be forced to investigate this matter and have found a couple of articles which should bring me there (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/strings.html and http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/unicode.html). If any experts on the field, please don't hesitate to contact me, so we can get things 100% right.

Hmm, I'm wondering if the MP core or other plugins have dealt with this matter...? I'll see what I can get from MP and the tag reader in particular.

Lastly, please send me a couple of titles that contains e.g. ?s, ?t or similar. I (luckily) have a had time finding a lyric in my library with one of the mentioned instances.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I still get the same problem :)

MyLyrics Start: 0 : 000.0: MyLyrics opens
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 000.0: findLyric(Air, All I Need)
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 000.5: Lyric found: Air - All I Need. Place: lyric database
    MyLyrics Stop: 0 : 106.2: MyLyrics closes
    MyLyrics Start: 0 : 132.1: MyLyrics opens
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 132.1: findLyric(Hooverphonic , Battersea )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 132.6: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , Battersea )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 132.6: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , Battersea )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 134.0: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , Battersea )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 134.2: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , Battersea )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 138.7: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 150.3: findLyric(Hooverphonic , One Way Ride )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 150.6: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , One Way Ride )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 150.7: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , One Way Ride )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 150.7: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , One Way Ride )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 150.7: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , One Way Ride )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 152.7: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 154.0: findLyric(Hooverphonic , Dictionary )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 154.4: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , Dictionary )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 154.5: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , Dictionary )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 154.5: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , Dictionary )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 154.5: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , Dictionary )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 156.5: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 157.4: findLyric(Hooverphonic , Club Montepulciano )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 157.7: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , Club Montepulciano )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 157.8: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , Club Montepulciano )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 157.8: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , Club Montepulciano )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 157.8: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , Club Montepulciano )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 159.8: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 176.1: findLyric(Hooverphonic , Eden )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 176.5: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , Eden )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 176.5: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , Eden )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 176.5: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , Eden )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 176.5: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , Eden )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 182.3: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 193.3: findLyric(Hooverphonic , Lung )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 193.7: LyricsOnDemand(Hooverphonic , Lung )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 193.7: Start searchLyricWiki(Hooverphonic , Lung )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 193.7: Lyrics007(Hooverphonic , Lung )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 193.7: SeekLyrics(Hooverphonic , Lung )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 196.3: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Stop: 0 : 197.0: MyLyrics closes
    MyLyrics Start: 0 : 398.0: MyLyrics opens
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 398.0: findLyric(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 398.4: LyricsOnDemand(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 398.4: Start searchLyricWiki(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 398.4: Lyrics007(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 398.4: SeekLyrics(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 400.4: Search terminates: No lyric found...
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 406.1: findLyric(Hard-Fi, Cash Machine)
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 406.5: Lyric found: Hard-Fi - Cash Machine. Place: lyric database
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 412.1: findLyric(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 412.6: LyricsOnDemand(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 412.6: Start searchLyricWiki(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 412.6: Lyrics007(Muse , Starlight )
    MyLyrics Information: 0 : 412.6: SeekLyrics(Muse , Starlight )

Hope it helps to fix the problem

great work btw

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    thx for the great support and effort :D

Gaukaren

Portal Member
    January 23, 2007
    It is a quite complex area and I've until now found the time or motivation to study the area thoroughly. Right now I cannot tell you much about the differences between ASCII, ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-9, ISO-8859-1 and other character sets. I have hoped to find a C# "how to" manual on this issue but haven't had the luck until now.

[...]

Lastly, please send me a couple of titles that contains e.g. ?s, ?t or similar. I (luckily) have a had time finding a lyric in my library with one of the mentioned instances.
    It shouldn't be that hard. I'm useless in .NET, but I'm sure there must a common library to do this.

I'll give an example, though. Take a look at this page: It's a Norwegian song (and the first i came across that had lots of errors in the lyrics) which uses the 'special' characters æ, ø, and å.

The text obviously isn't stored as UTF8 at Lyricswiki, yet the server and metadata says it is. This results in the special characters being misinterpreted. In Unicode, the code for 'unknown character is 0xFFFD, which in Firefox render as a '?' inside a black diamond shape. Now, this string is already compromised, so if we convert it to plain text the unicode character we want to convert isn't there anymore. One guess what happens if we do UTF8->ISO-8859-1 on this? Yes, we get our infamous question mark.

What we want is for our program to do the same thing as the browser does if we go back to the page and choose View->Character Encoding->Western (ISO-8859-1) in Firefox. Goodbye ugly black diamond '?', welcome weird Norwegian vowels.

As I mentioned, my C# skills are beyond pitiful, but a can post how to do it with a few lines of Perl (in the vague hope that you might gleam something useful from it).
    Code:
    use Unicode::String;
    use LWP::Simple;
       #Grab lyric with ugly and wrong encoding of chars 'æ', 'ø', and 'å', store to a scalar.
    my $string = get("http://www.lyricswiki.org/artist_b/bjorn_eidsvag_lyrics/skyfri_himmel_lyrics.html");
       # Create new unicode string object
    my $us = Unicode::String->new;
       # The lyric in the data grabbed from the internet is a latin1 string mistakenly sent as UTF8
       $us->latin1( $string ); 
       # So we turn it back into a proper string using the default conversion encoding (UTF8).
       $string = $us->as_string;
       # Drop the extra HTML. And, no, this isn't a proper parser. Sue me...
       $string =~ s|<pre>(.*?)</pre>|$1|gis;
       $string = $1;
       # Write the fixed lyric to a file
       open  (FIXED, ">fixed.txt") or die "Could not write file.";
       print  FIXED "$string";
       close (FIXED);
    Good luck, and thanks for your work so far on a great plugin.

Edit: Not using the 'proper' Lyricwiki site was by design, as this particular lyric seemed to be genuinely busted there. However, I just noticed that this tag (which had previously eluded me - yes, I'm slow sometimes) is on a shitload of songs over there...
    It has been requested that this page be reviewed and edited to fix any errors, omissions, or formatting problems. To find all pages with this request, please see Category:Requests For Edits. Reason: This page contains accented characters which are not displayed correctly Probably the page contains characters such as ä, ç, é, ñ which are shown as question marks.
    The reason for this is probably that they made the very mistake I attributed to My Lyrics earlier (sorry about that) when they imported these lyrics into their system in the first place. Thus, it's not easily fixable. The information is already lost.

I'll check out the other sites available in 0.15 and see what's going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom