myMusic: faster way to jump to an artist or title (1 Viewer)

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
I have a huge music library, about 6000 titles. When I want to jump to a specific title or artist, I have to scroll down a huge list.

What about display A..Z shortcuts above the list; so that I can select for example "R" and the list jumps to the first entry with "R", regardless if I'm displaying titles, artists or genres.
Then when I choose "O" the list jumpts to the first entry starting with "RO". So with just two clicks I'm quite near to for example "Robbie Williams".
Another shortcut "clear" or someting like that after the A..Z should clear my input, so that the list starts at the very top again. In front of the A there could be a '#' to select entry starting with any number; I don't think we need a complete 0..9 list of choices, too.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
As I think through this in more detail, I think MP some of the ease-to-use of iTunes.
In iTunes there is a search field always present at the top of the list. I just need to type some chars and the list instantly jumps to entries containing these chars. So in iTunes it's more like a fulltext-search; I'm not sure if that's really neccessary. Finding entries *starting* with the given chars would be ok, too.

To be even smarter than iTunes MP could have a dedicated key to add an entry to the playlist. So that I can run through my music and can add single tunes to the list by just one click - at the moment I have to use the context menu.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
BlackBurn, your post is about speed - did you try using the database instead of reading ID-tags out of the files?
I do use the database, and speed is not a problem for me. Even with the 6000 titles I have.

A

Anonymous

JulianBuss said:
BlackBurn, your post is about speed - did you try using the database instead of reading ID-tags out of the files?
I do use the database, and speed is not a problem for me. Even with the 6000 titles I have.

Yes, I have rebuild the database in the setup and the speed is also a litlle slow cause he has to read the whole dirlisting over the network even in explorer this is a little slow.

But if that idea I suggested is worked out, you can search in that DB and the would be extremely fast, I have over 1100albums which contains more then 20000 songs and I can imagine, that searching in that amount of titles can take a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom