MyOrganizer (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I'd like a feature in MediaPortal that allows me to Look at my Calendar and organize appointments (interaction with ms outlook and other apps of that kind) and reminds me of appointments and stuff...

In that Calendar you could also Plan your TV program and set like reminders for TV shows or stuff like that. wouldnt that be cool? ;)

have fun

OXID

A

Anonymous

I love this idea! Outlook has an API so it's certainly possible but it does raise a few issues. If you are using a dedicated computer for Media Portal (as opposed to running it on your primary computer) then it would be running against a stand-along Outlook calendar as well. Unless you use Exchange server you can't share a calendar across computers easily. Ideally all program events would be setup as single or recurring appointments in Outlook and that could drive the recording. Then reminders for shows would prompt the TV features, and other reminders could appear as OSD's within whatever display was being used.

If Outlook could be used across machines this would be much more usable, though it would still be very useful. Perhaps a more adaptable way of handling this would be to run a daemon on the machine used to host Outlook and it could act as a gateway so the Media Portal PC would be configured where to find the portal and could access the calendar that way. New emails could also trigger screen events if certain rules were matched.

Great idea, but it might need a little fleshing out. Basically turns your TV into more of a hub than ever!

A

Anonymous

Wow, this is an excellent idea! I'm thinking about jumping on board for coding, but my experience with C# is nonexistant. I'll at least work on conceptualizing how this could work. Who knows, maybe it could be a learning experience.

Does anyone know of a 'universal calendar' container? Some sort of xml structure so we can get non-Outlook people in on this too?

A

Anonymous

Dav0id said:
Wow, this is an excellent idea! I'm thinking about jumping on board for coding, but my experience with C# is nonexistant. I'll at least work on conceptualizing how this could work. Who knows, maybe it could be a learning experience.

Does anyone know of a 'universal calendar' container? Some sort of xml structure so we can get non-Outlook people in on this too?

Sure, it's called iCal (though unfortunatly Apple named their app the same), and it's cover in RFC 2445. There are plenty of open source programs that support it so you should be able to steal most of the input/output code from elsewhere and just work on the display portion. MS Outlook in internet only mode can output iCal files, and I believe it can accept them in both internet only and corp modes. iCal is the standardized sucessor to the vCal format.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    A

Anonymous

What about using a sync program to transfer the outlook file to the media station?? Most people wil have the media station on a lan for getting the TV guide so transfering the outlook pst file is possible.

only problem you can have is if you want to input somthing in the callendar/to do list.

--> but you can sent a mail message with the info to oulook (i think).

A

Anonymous

Outlook 2003 and I think they even had it in Outlook 2002, has the ability to export your Calender as a webpage. This hould make it easier to share it from another PC into MP

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    Nice idea, but maybe as a simple calendar organizing private stuff like birthdays (popup when it´s time), dates, family meetings or such things. I think you don´t need to connect that to OE or OL. Or is there anyone running MP on his office PC? I don´t think so. :D

A

Anonymous

There are lots of reasons why you would want to have a solution which synchronizes with Outlook. One of them is collaboration with your Microsoft Smartphone or Pocket PC, which uses the same data. So you could always have your tv schedules on your Pocket PC and change things right there when you are away from home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom