[not reproducible] MySql Unable to upgrade database (1 Viewer)

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
October 28, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It is not unreasonable to expect the MediaPortal installer (or even the TV service) to ensure MySQL is configured correctly and certainly not impossible for it to do so (stop MySQL service, modify settings files, restart MySQL service). Whether or not it is worthwhile to do so is debatable as if it does turn out to be a manual MySQL install it may not affect a lot of people. I guess that's your call.
I think that it would not be wise to just alter the present MySQL install. What if that is a custom install that requires to run as configured?
We could upset a lot of users by "fixing" their MySQL Servers configuration. Next issue will be that their SQL server might not be running on the same PC - so I am not sure if we can even check for the configuration?
Any db guru can answer that?

What we should do is (if possible) check the MySQL Servers settings and if we find something that will cause issues for the MP install, warn the user.
[/QUOTE]

Well there's always going to be esoteric cases. I suppose it depends on whether or not Mediaportal's target audience do that sort of thing a lot.

If not automatic then perhaps an option. Or a maybe a few words pointing the user to a batch file that can be run to correct the issue.

Thanks for the my.ini file. I'll report any differences in mine tonight.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I suppose it depends on whether or not Mediaportal's target audience do that sort of thing a lot.
    To be brutally honest here. The target audience are those users which install everything by the MediaPortal Setup/DeployTool.
    Because then "nothing" can go wrong. :)

If not automatic then perhaps an option. Or a maybe a few words pointing the user to a batch file that can be run to correct the issue.
    If it is technically possible for us to check the configuration of the SQL instance MP should connect to, then I will try to get that included in an upcoming version. :)

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I suppose it depends on whether or not Mediaportal's target audience do that sort of thing a lot.
    To be brutally honest here. The target audience are those users which install everything by the MediaPortal Setup/DeployTool.
    Because then "nothing" can go wrong. :)

I rembered about manually installed MySql: My first system was on Windows XP and I recall installing it manually on there. I messed about with it quite a lot on there. But I don't use that system anymore.

The only thing I've done with this current system is install upgrades or community patches so I am the target audience and it has gone wrong :(

I checked my.ini and it is the same as yours. According to the MySql manual it is possible to change the configuration using SQL-like commands. The only thing to access MySql on here is MediaPortal so somehow it has changed the mode.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The only thing I've done with this current system is install upgrades or community patches so I am the target audience and it has gone wrong :(

I checked my.ini and it is the same as yours. According to the MySql manual it is possible to change the configuration using SQL-like commands. The only thing to access MySql on here is MediaPortal so somehow it has changed the mode.
    You said that you were testing patches from the community.
    If any of these touched the TV-Servers Database, then this could be the cause.
    I highly doubt that it was something inside one of the official releases. I and many others have done countless of installs and upgrades during the internal testing of each one. So that would have been noticed.

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the same problem. I am running MySQL 5.7 with another database.
    I Connected to the mySQL instance during the installation of mediaportal sucessfully and the mptvdb schema was created sucsessful.
    But when running TV-Server Configuration, I get the error "Failed to upgrade the database."
    Since I did nowhere find a solution for that error, can anyone here help please?
    I would not like to remove MySQL completly, because I need the other database running in it.
    I am running everything on a Windows Server 2008R2.
    Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom