Mythtv -> Media Portal (1 Viewer)

would you like any of these features, choose your favorite!

• 2. the timeshift/livetv question

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. quality modes in recordings

• 6. auto/hotkeys for zoom mode

• 7. hotkey for tv-guide

• 8. tv-guide search

• Total voters

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
The developers should have a look at Mythtv and add some of the stuff they have. I've only been using Media Portal for a few days, and have 6 months experience with mythtv. Media Portal have some advantages, but are missing som features I take for granted.

The following is TV related.

1. Recorded shows: rather than just putting them inn "archive" myth sorts them by show. So I have all my simpsons episodes in one menu. There is also a "all recordings" that shows you everything sorted by date.

2. recording/timeshift, if my htpc is recording a show and I turn on the tv, I don't want to see the show from where it is right now, I wan't to watch from the beginning while it records the rest of the show. When you choose watch tv, and it's recording it should ask if you would like to watch from the beginning or "live"

3. access to the tv-guide while in fullscreen-tv, and browse mode, like when you press F7 or F8 in fullscreen-TV I don't want it to change channels before I press enter. I want to read what's on before it changes channel.

4. Different quality modes for recording. For live TV I want 8mbit 720x768 mpg2, for random tv shows I only need 6mbit 480x576, for simpsons I only need 4mbit, for sports I need 10mbit etc... When I select a show to record I also would like to chose quality settings.

5. When recording shows I want more settings, like don't record if it's a rerun, only keep # recordings of that show before you delete the oldest one (but only if I've watched it).

6. "auto" mode for aspect ratio. And/or hotkeys for every mode, I usually use 16:9, 4:3, and zoom, I don't want to press S 4 times get zoom mode.

7. I want a hotkey for the tv-guide, and I don't need the tv playing in the small windows if I go directly into the tv-guide

8. I want to search the tv-guide, like search for simpsons, and it will list all simpsons episodes on every channel, or type in fotball and it will find all shows about fotball. And I want it to behave like a filter, like it shall look for simpsons on all channels, but fotball only on some of the channels., so I can save all my filters, and quickly check the tv-guide for my favorite shows.

9. better priority/conflict manager, I want priority options. Give different/shows or channels different priorities to automaticly handle conflicts.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    KRA,

It's easier to catch flies with honey. The demanding tone you set in this thread by the constand use of "I want" does not motivate people.

The people behind MP do a lot of hard and good work in their own time and for no money. We should be pleased with what they have done so far.
    MP has grown to be a serious good program.

I agree that some of the functions you mentioned would be nice to have, but it's just the way you ask for it. :(

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe you should give 0.1.3 a try:

>1. Recorded shows: sorts them by show.
    MP does that

2. recording/timeshift, watch recording from start
    MP can do that

3. access to the tv-guide while in fullscreen-tv,
    0.1.3 has a new zap osd which does this

4. Different quality modes for recording.
    0.1.3 has quality modes for recordings. For now only concerning the bitrate. we could look @ resolution also

5. don't record if it's a rerun
    For that i need to know if its a re-run. and i dont know it. tell me how mythtv figures out its a re-run

5 only keep # recordings of that show before you delete the oldest one
    again, 0.1.3 can do that

6. "auto" mode for aspect ratio.
    if you use normal mode MP should auto-adjust aspect ratio

7. I want a hotkey for the tv-guide
    there is if you're using the microsoft mce remote
    otherwise you can edit keymap.xml and make one yourself

7.I don't need the tv playing in the small windows
    thats an option you can turn on/off in MP

8. I want to search the tv-guide, like search for simpsons
    again, mp can do that

9. better priority/conflict manager, I want priority options.
    last but not least. priorities/conflicts are in mp from 0.1.3

Frodo

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    frodo said:
    I believe this should work the way he described this, and has allready been discussed at IRC. The channel should be pressed "enter" at for the osd to change, and have a time out of 5seconds or so to disapear. This is the way all the other boxes I've had does it. (Feature request)

frodo said:
    For that i need to know if its a re-run. and i dont know it. tell me how mythtv figures out its a re-run
    This can be grabbed from the EPG-information (web-pages) where available and put in tvguide.xml, I believe it is an option in XML-TV dtd.
    Actually in norway we have this; (r) for rerun, (t) for texted, and (episodenumber:eek:f episode total) for episode-numbering.
    I'll try this out soon.

frodo said:
    You can also use a plugin: My Keys, by MPod to do this functionality

Lyxalig

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    guytpetj said:
    KRA,

It's easier to catch flies with honey. The demanding tone you set in this thread by the constand use of "I want" does not motivate people.

Sorry if that's the way you and others read it, it's not about what I want. English is not my native language, and when I read my post again, I see that people might read it like it's something I'm demanding.

It's not like that, as I said I've been using myth and thought I'd add some tips on how to improve media portal. The "I want" is because I decided to make a poll out of it, to see if my suggestions was something others would like.

I'm not a coder, but I thought some of the suggestions would be easy to add, if people was interested.

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    frodo said:
    Maybe you should give 0.1.3 a try:
    That's the one I'm using

frodo said:
    >1. Recorded shows: sorts them by show.
    MP does that
    I can't find that option, I've looked for it, it can sort by channel, date or type of show.

frodo said:
    2. recording/timeshift, watch recording from start
    MP can do that
    Yes, I can rewind, but it automaticly goes into live mode, not cool when you are watching a game, and automaticly se the score, when you wanted to watch from the beginning.

frodo said:
    Is there a hotkey ?

frodo said:
    4. Different quality modes for recording.
    0.1.3 has quality modes for recordings. For now only concerning the bitrate. we could look @ resolution also
    This is not available from the tv-guide, only from schedule ?

frodo said:
    This would depent on where you get you xmltv from, but looking for a (r) or [r] would probably help, you might need input from the users how te tv-guide works in their country.

frodo said:
    5 only keep # recordings of that show before you delete the oldest one
    again, 0.1.3 can do that
    I will have to look more, havn't found it yet.

frodo said:
    6. "auto" mode for aspect ratio.
    if you use normal mode MP should auto-adjust aspect ratio
    I assume this is 4:3 and 16:9, not zoom, if so it must be because the videofeed is incorrect (logo/text outside the picture area), thus hotkeys would be helpful. Is there a different command for each mode ?

frodo said:
    Thankyou I will look into that, I have a hauppauge remote.

frodo said:
    7.I don't need the tv playing in the small windows
    thats an option you can turn on/off in MP
    I know, but you have to look at it as a whole, tv-guide as an own "module" not part of "my tv", if you understand ? maybe keymap.xml will help me here.

frodo said:
    8. I want to search the tv-guide, like search for simpsons
    again, mp can do that
    Again, I have to look closer, I couldn't find it. What about the filter idea ?

frodo said:
    9. better priority/conflict manager, I want priority options.
    last but not least. priorities/conflicts are in mp from 0.1.3
    I see the menu, but not the options, only option I found was to delete one of the shows. a nice feature would fix the conflict automaticly based on a priority you have set in advance.

I admit I've only used media portal for about a week, but I think i've been in the settings and restarted it over a 100 times, trying to find out how it works, tweak it and change settings. Some of the suggestions might be there, but I havn't found them. I will test more when I get home from work today. Although I miss some features from mythtv I see great potential in media portal. keep up the good work !

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    KRA,

Then welcome on board. I hope you will enjoy MP as much as I (and not to forget the wife and kids) do.

Many of us in the MP community are not native to the English language, mine is Dutch (although I live in Australia now).

Have fun :wink:

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    frodo wrote:

This would depent on where you get you xmltv from, but looking for a (r) or [r] would probably help, you might need input from the users how te tv-guide works in their country.

I think what frodo is saying is that yes, the TV Guide may indicate the show is re-run, but it may be the first time you are recording the show, so it is not a re-run for you. I am by no means a TV junkie, and how people find time to record & watch so many series is sometimes beyond me! But, I think these sorts of "fuzzy logic" and "AI" requests for scheduling recording are not for version 1 of MP. Maybe it's something that can be looked at in version 2. There are users who still report issues with simple one-off scheduled recordings not working, 0kb files, etc etc. Let's make sure the simple recording functionality is rock-solid before getting into the smart-stuff.
    But hey, that's just MHO. :wink:

swinghead

Portal Member
    February 7, 2005
    hello

first mp is a fine software.
    i have had a look at mythTV... MP can all what mythTV can.
    it where nice to have the "remote client" for mp like mythTV to look TV in the whole house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom