MyTV and Video features (1 Viewer)

jshan

Portal Member
July 27, 2005
If MP has any of these already, please let me know.

MyTV:
Should be able to key in channel to go to directly, both in guide and in fullscreen/general

Screensaver/dimmer when video is not being shown, or when paused for an extended period of time

Set up recording for NEW episodes

Commercial Skip

Recording LED (Serial or Parallel port)

Videos:
- ability to delete a file (especially after viewing it)
- ability to compress a file

Seek compensation during forward/rewind - i.e. auto backs up a set number of seconds to compensate for delay between user seeing where he wants to stop, and when he presses the stop/play button

Would be nice: Plugin: Theatre listings

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
jshan said:
If MP has any of these already, please let me know.

MyTV:
Should be able to key in channel to go to directly, both in guide and in fullscreen/general

MP does it

Screensaver/dimmer when video is not being shown, or when paused for an extended period of time

MP does it

Set up recording for NEW episodes

Depends on the EPG data quality

Commercial Skip

Would be cool

Recording LED (Serial or Parallel port)

Who will sell the hardware ?

Videos:

- ability to delete a file (especially after viewing it)

MP does it

- ability to compress a file

MP does it

Seek compensation during forward/rewind - i.e. auto backs up a set number of seconds to compensate for delay between user seeing where he wants to stop, and when he presses the stop/play button

Never heard of that but sounds good

Would be nice: Plugin: Theatre listings

An idea to keep for the long winter nights :)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I like the idea of a recording LED. I was actually only thinking about this yesterday.
    The only hardware needed would be one LED and one Resistor.
    All that is needed is to send a data bit to one of the parallel pins. Pre Win 2000/XP all that was needed was a command like echo 255 > LPT1 to send Pin 8 hi. Since newer windows has the Hardware Abstraction Layer this needs to be a little more advanced, but the threory is still the same. If you can send a command directly to the LPT port to raise one of the pins to data level 5v then an LED will work fine with approximately 20 cents worth of electronic components.

It would be just as easy to configure up to eight different leds to turn on for any events.

Any devs like the idea of this enough to look into? Maybe the external display plugin could easily be adapted for the simplest type of external display ever?

nzmike

Portal Member
    January 21, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Erm, sorry, what does "record from LED" mean in english?!

What sort of devices would you record from? I can't imagine what you'd be trying to record from either the parallel or serial port!

I've probably misunderstood the thread.... anyone care to explain this a bit more?

TIA...

Mike

gds

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2004
    Italy
    He means a red led which lights up when you are recording to give visual feedback of the recording in progress (like VCRs do).

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Marcusb said:
    I like the idea of a recording LED. I was actually only thinking about this yesterday.
    The only hardware needed would be one LED and one Resistor.
    All that is needed is to send a data bit to one of the parallel pins. Pre Win 2000/XP all that was needed was a command like echo 255 > LPT1 to send Pin 8 hi. Since newer windows has the Hardware Abstraction Layer this needs to be a little more advanced, but the threory is still the same. If you can send a command directly to the LPT port to raise one of the pins to data level 5v then an LED will work fine with approximately 20 cents worth of electronic components.

It would be just as easy to configure up to eight different leds to turn on for any events.

Any devs like the idea of this enough to look into? Maybe the external display plugin could easily be adapted for the simplest type of external display ever?

I would think that T-Square (who wrote a plugin to use parallel port to read pins) could modify (or anyone else using that source code) that plugin - InputDeviceMapper.

The thread is here: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=55645#55645

Mike

T-Square

Portal Member
    May 19, 2005
    Minden Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

there are some dll's for WIN NT/2000/XP that give you access to the HW ports.
    I'm using Inpout32.dll (see http://www.logix4u.net/inpout32.htm).
    The ExternalDisplay Plugin from Joe Dalton uses DriverLINX Port Driver because it
    uses all the LCDHype display drivers.
    I can show some sample sourcecode as soon as I'm at home.
    I'm not sure whether I have a free output pin on my LPT because most of them are
    used for my LCD.
    Perhaps Pin 17 (select) is free, but I have to check. If it is really a free output, I can
    connect a LED and use it as record LED.

T-Square

T-Square

Portal Member
    May 19, 2005
    Minden Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

sorry that I haven't uploaded some source code, but I couldn't because I
    was on a business trip.

Do you still need some help from me or was the description of Inpout32.dll
    in the www enough to solve your problem.

Regards

T-Square

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom