NAS - Raid or No Raid (1 Viewer)

mickb

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
Travelling Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend more money on it or replace it I am looking for a bit of advice.

A year ago I had a drive fail and thought, no problems will just put in the spare and all will be fine. Except a second drive failed during the rebuild. It was then I remembered all the ext USB HDD's I had acquired so I could back up but never did. After having the data recovered, firmware upgraded and Raid rebuilt all has been good up until yesterday. Drive failed, put in spare and Raid rebuilt. All looked fine but a heap of data is now missing (all my TV Drama shows about 1TB worth) and a few directories here and there. The NAS is reporting Dom Backup Failure and Thecus have checked the Config file which they tell me reports:

dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/vg0/lv0
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Fortunately I have back-ups this time.

My concern is I went to Raid 5 to reduce the risk of data loss but in the 2 times I have needed it it has failed. Researching I have come across a lot of sites that say stay away from Raid 5. Raid 1+0 although lower capacity gives better performance and more redundancy.

As my media collection is now 6.5TB and growing I am wondering how to move forward and am looking for advice from the MediaPortal community. As I see it my options are:

1. Do away with Raid altogether
  2. Rebuild a Raid 5 NAS, where I have the option to increase the disks to 4 TB and basically doubling my storage
  3. Rebuild at Raid 1+0 and end up with about 5 TB and cull my data
  4. Buy a second NAS with 16TB and configure to Raid 1+0 in addition to the step above and end up with about 13TB of storage.
I am interested in opinions for and against RAID arrangements, but what i am looking for is a reliable system that provides the least amount of input if there is a failure.

I look forward to the insight of the community.

Regards

Mick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom