NAS with clients (1 Viewer)

gigiballa

July 28, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi guys,
i'm developing a system for a motor yacht.
The system is composed by few clients (pc with Windows XP or Vista) connected trhough a 1000BaseT LAN with a NAS storage device.
The NAS is a 2TB Netgear READYNAS NV in Raid 1 configuration.
Among other functions i need to share DVD,Music and Pictures stored on the NAS with the clients.
Could anyone tell me if MP supports NAS without problem and in case what could be the issues with this configuration..
Could i connect 10 clients and watch the same DVD from them at the same time with no losses or crashes?
Please tell any suggestion and hints..

Thanks
Manuel

dirtboy

Portal Member
August 7, 2005
Pascagoula, MS
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I play all my videos over a network share without a problem. I'm not sure what the performance is on the Netgear NAS, but I think it uses a proprietary driver for access instead of just SMB. I only have one machine connected to a Linux computer with samba shares over 100Mb, but it works great. I store all my videos, movies, pictures, and music on that share and map it to a drive letter.

gigiballa

July 28, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
My main question was if i could share from NAS for 10 clients playing DVD streams from there.
What's the max throughput that i can reach from the NAS and what do i need?

dirtboy

Portal Member
August 7, 2005
Pascagoula, MS
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The easiest way to test it would be to run Mediaportal in a window and start playing a DVD stream. Open the task manager and see what your network usage is at. It would be the same usage on your NAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom