[Usability] Navigation (1 Viewer)

wusel

Portal Pro
November 3, 2011
Home Country
I have some problems with navigation in MediaPortal. I experience them mostly when using the TVservice. On my remote is a button for tv-program and I click it very often to switch channels. When I want to return to the homescreen I need to push the back button several times(it goes back to EPG-fullscreen-EPG-etc). So it seems that MP opens a new TV-program-"window" whenever I click on it. Wouldn't it be more logical to "jump" back to the one which is open already when I press the EPG-Button?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
are you using EPG or miniEPG (with "now and next") for changing channels? (they have different behavior when using back button).
why do you want to return to homescreen after changing channel? aren't you intended to switch a channel for watching it and not homescreen?

wusel

Portal Pro
November 3, 2011
Home Country
When I'm done with watching TV and want to do something else - that's what I meant with returning to homescreen.
I use EPG

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
then i suspect it is desired behavior - it goes to the last screen that was active before.
Have you tried to map remote button to home screen? or use MiniEPG?

wusel

Portal Pro
November 3, 2011
Home Country
I don't want the back-button to bring me to homescreen and I'm sure it's a desired behavior. I just wanted to mention that EPG opens over and over again which isn't necessary because it will stay always the same screen you'll see. I don't see the point in looping through fullscreen-EPG. It's like when you open folders to get to a file but the last folder - before you get to the file - opens multiple times.

EDIT: btw I know how I can avoid this ;) Just want to mention it because to me that is a flaw in MP's navigation, isn't it?

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't want the back-button to bring me to homescreen and I'm sure it's a desired behavior. I just wanted to mention that EPG opens over and over again which isn't necessary because it will stay always the same screen you'll see. I don't see the point in looping through fullscreen-EPG. It's like when you open folders to get to a file but the last folder - before you get to the file - opens multiple times.

I agree that it is not good usability when the EPG views stack on top of each other.

home -> TV -> fullscreen TV -> EPG -> fullscreen TV -> EPG -> Fullscreen TV... as view history doesn't make any sense from user point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom