Nearly going to MP2 but...... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm quite attached to MP1 and have used it for many years. I like new stuff and trying/tinkering but MP2 just didn't have what's necessary for me to jump ship. For example I use StreamedMP all the time (3 diff setups, family) and a few plugins.

The skin, well I could live with a different one now 2.1 will have more, it's aesthetics at the end of the day.

However there's one key thing missing which has held up my migration and that's Spotify! (Rockstar??) Let's face it, it's a large part of media is music and streaming is probably the most common way of listening to it now??

So to go to MP2 streaming services is all that's missing really! I know Rockstar has been quiet for some time, although it still works for me, but whoever does it (or native support!) I feel it's key.

Hell, I don't mind paying for the thing!

Is anything even 'in the works' right now?

Here's hoping!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Andrew,
    However there's one key thing missing which has held up my migration and that's Spotify!
    My kids introduced me to it by installing it on the main HTPC and using it, however, outside of MediaPortal. I am intrigued by the simpIicity of use: chose your style and it's going to play forever. I have some 8000 tracks on my NAS but it now looks as the future is user-specific streaming.
    Therefore I would also like to see something, which allows me to use the free Spotify features. As it stands you currently need a paid subscription to use it under MP1. In the end I might also start taking a subscription for the family.

Is anything even 'in the works' right now?
    Not at this moment. Our main focus is to fix all the issues that we identified within 2.1pre to get an imporved 2.1 Final out. Then only will we start looking into new elements like the above. We do have a Feature Request section where we invite users to post things they would like to se in MediaPortal 2.

Last not least, there may also be the simple possibility to add an AppLauncher tile to the MP 2 surface (you can configure these) and launch the Spotify application in order to use it.

Last edited:

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
    December 11, 2013
    Home Country
    I use the premium version in the car (apple carplay), the house via MP and on my phone when out. As does the missus and my brother etc.

As my mum and dad have MP in their house, and now so does my brother, anything I put in has to be useable from the remote and for a complete non-technical user.

My mum still asks me why there's no teletext!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My mum still asks me why there's no teletext!
    Give somebody a finger and he's going to take the whole arm :D

Views about integration of teletext are divided. But I've seen that you are located in the UK: I thought that Ceetex had been switched off in 2012?

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
    December 11, 2013
    Home Country
    It has! It just coincided with them getting a HDTV card so it's my fault that it went off after I redid their MediaCentre.

Still, they're both in their 70's and have used MP daily for 6-7 years! Nice and easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom