Need advice on getting a case for my new HTPC... (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

I am rebuilding my HTPC. My current one is in a huge tower with lots of fans, drives, and a hot processor. I am interested in getting a smaller case. I am trying to balance heat dissipation with noise and also want it to look more like a HTPC than a tower computer. The Plex cases are BEAUTIFUL!!!! But I cannot put in my full size Hauppauge colossus card. So I plan to have a SSD for the OS and one for Capture and time shifting. An optical drive and likely that will be it. I am sure that I can keep the heat down by not getting a huge power supply and maybe some sort of piping cooling for the processor. The processor that I will be using has a TDP of 125W (I know that this is high, but it is what I have and I don't want to buy another processor.
    I have a harmony one remote now that I will be using. My need for an internal IR port is high as now I use just a USB one plugged into it and wired up that looks kind of bad.

Any recommendations for cases (or cases to avoid) would be appreciated.

Thanks
    -Steve

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In my opnion the Silverstone HTPC Cases look very pretty.
    As an alternative the Antec Fusion cases can also be nice. But there are issues with the iMON Display they have.
    When you dont need / want a disply Silverstone should be enough.

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thats why i ordered the ML03B for me. Looks good, affordable price, small enough to fit in my rack.
    For you it would be too small because of your Colossus. but Grandia and LaScala are big enough :-D

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    Go for a case that can that atx psu. Get a 80plus psu as this will save about 20% on power.. microatx psu jsut dont last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom