Need advise on which satellite card to buy (1 Viewer)

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
July 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm new to the whole satellite card subject so I'm hoping someone can simply point me in the right direction regarding a purchase.

Im in the UK so will be looking to receive freesat HD broadcasts, I need to be able to record 2 channels at once and watch a third (if that's even possible?). I would rather not spend pots of cash on this but at the same time don't want to buy something that turns out to be rubbish!

So what gets a thumbs up? :)

TIA

Rich

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Rich,

For me it has to be TBS >>here<<. I had a TBS6980 dual tuner for about 2 1/2 years and it was faultless. I now have a TBS6984 quad tuner, this enables to me to watch one channel and record three... (or used in conjunction with the DVB-T/T2 quad card) watch one channel and record seven. The quad card ain't cheap, but it is solid and works well. The installation is painless and channel tuning is pretty quick. You can buy directly from the manufacturer and the TBS cards are supported by MP, and it would appear that TBS work with MP devs too.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hauppague HVR 4400 also used + recommended by a lot of MP users. Quad tuner with 2x DVB-T, 2x DVB-S/S2, Analog Tuner, PCI-E slot

Remember there is DVB-S and DVB-S2 so take that into consideration. I'm not sure if you have S2 broadcast where you are or if it is planned, but having S2 support definitely makes your card more futureproof

Last edited:

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2010
    Thanks for the info. The TBS6984 looks great, but a little over my budget so I think I will go for the 6981 dual tuner, this seems to get plenty of good reviews though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom