Need help to choose a tv card (1 Viewer)

dncv

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Maia
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi guys,

I´m a user of mediaportal for arround 3 years and I´m very pleased with this software,for me that´s the best for htpc.
Until now I never used the application for the tv and I want to start with this part.I have a old tv tuner leadtek winfast tv 2000xp and I try us it with the tv server, but when I try to configure the server I have a message that says this tuner is not supported from the tv server.
I check for a new tuner and I find this one AVERMEDIA AVerTV Duo Hybrid PCI-E II A188 I can buy it for around 55€,what about this tuner are he compatible with mediaportal, or can you recommend another one.
Thanks.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

I´m a user of mediaportal for arround 3 years and I´m very pleased with this software,for me that´s the best for htpc.
    Until now I never used the application for the tv and I want to start with this part.I have a old tv tuner leadtek winfast tv 2000xp and I try us it with the tv server, but when I try to configure the server I have a message that says this tuner is not supported from the tv server.
    I check for a new tuner and I find this one AVERMEDIA AVerTV Duo Hybrid PCI-E II A188 I can buy it for around 55€,what about this tuner are he compatible with mediaportal, or can you recommend another one.
    Thanks.

Hi,

This very much depends on what type of signal you receive - analog, digital (DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-C).

If possible, I would go for a digital tuner, but I know nothing about the TV setup in Portugal.

Mark

dncv

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Maia
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Hi,

Let me try to explain my situation.I have cable tv and to see all the channels digital and premium I need a set-top-box.At the moment I have only one set-top-box connect to the tv in the living room,but I have two more lcd at home both on the bed rooms,this two tv have analog signal and also I have two mediaportal clients.I check on the internet and I find if a use a DVB-C tuner I have got only a few free digital channels the rest are blocked,when a say blocked I do not mean the premium channels because I don´t care about these,with the analog if a use tv card analog I can get all the analog channels.
    My question is if a need DVB-C and analogue card(if is exist or not) or only a analog tv card.
    Can you recommend some tv cards,I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

dncv

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Maia
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Hi people,

Did the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1100 is a good card to works with the mediaportal server?

Thanks

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi dncv,

It all depends on what kind of signal you will use - analogue or digital - so you have to make up your mind about that first.
    I think we can agree that in some time analogue signals will disappear.
    Some digital providers encrypt their channels so that's another thing to consider.

I'm still on an analogue signal but will switch very soon to satellite.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi people,

Did the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1100 is a good card to works with the mediaportal server?

Thanks

No!

The analogue card is only software encoding, not hardware. If you need the analogue side, then get the 1300, which has a hardware encoder. I just got one, and it works fine. Remember that this is a hybrid card so it also has DVB-T, which you probably don't need.

You might also consider the Hauppauge PVR 150 or 250, which have hardware encoders, and only analogue. In fact, I actually have one of these going spare (I think it is the 250), if you are interested in buying it from me (£10 + postage ???).

Best wishes,

Mark

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The 350 is also HW-encoding, although old. (Got one laying around. Worked great until I swapped it with a 150 - I have no idea why.... :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom