Need help with MCE ir receiver (1 Viewer)

baffledboy

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
I have an MS MCE r/c but have lost the IR receiver for it during my house move. Is there a method of buying/building an replacement USB IR receiver which will work? I have a spare Cyberlink r/c and receiver but it's awful compared to the MS original - most of the buttons aren't mapped for MP. (Incidentally I tried using the Cyberlink receiver with the MS r/c but nothing happened!)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    To use the MCE remote with another receiver that receiver would need to be something like a USB-UIRT or IgorPlug. Those two (there may be others) can handle just about any remote control because of how they talk to the software driving them. I'm not sure about the Cyberlink one though.

Most remote receivers are only looking for their remote or for a particular protocol. The MCE remote uses a specific variant of the RC6 protocol, one that no-one else uses, so you'll only get it working with a receiver that is meant to be generic.

I believe some DIY serial port receivers would also do the trick, like these:

http://stuff.nekhbet.ro/2006/07/10/make-an-infrared-remote-control-for-pc.html

http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=introduction

Good luck,

baffledboy

Portal Member
    September 6, 2006
    *Thumps head against desk* I've looked EVERYWHERE for one of those lol!!! Thanks!

EDIT: just noticed they only ship to the Netherlands. Darn it.

fpouels

Portal Member
    April 16, 2005
    Bennekom
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just trying to help here, but you are right, 19 euro is too high. The cheapest set (remote+receiver) I can find in the Netherlands however is still 20 euro, so you found a real bargain !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom