Need "universal" or MCE remote with learning function for volume keys .. suggestions? (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Good morning,

For some time now, I've been happily using a standard MCE remote with Mediaportal and love it's functionality. However, I recently converted my Mediaportal client over to use digital sound over TOSLINK to my home stereo receiver. Because of this, I can no longer control the volume through MediaPortal. I'm looking for either an MCE remote that has a learning function for at least the Volume Up/Down keys so I can program those two keys to adjust the stereo receiver's volume, instead of the PC's volume controls.

Otherwise, I could also go the route of getting some form of a universal learning remote, and program it to learn all of the MCE buttons, except swap in the Volume Up/Down from the AV stereo's remote.

Does anyone have any recommendations either way on this? I am struggling to find a universal remote that has standard media center-type buttons for things like the "guide" "music" "aspect ratio" and those types of keys.

Thanks!

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007
    It seems that you already know the answer to your own question.
    You need either an original Microsoft MCE Remote that is programmable or you would need a universal remote like Logitech.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You can use any learning remote, and have it learn a combination of mce keys (from your old mce remote) and vol keys (from your stereo remote). It's a real shame you can't buy genuine mce remotes anymore. I've been looking out for a second hand one, but so far no luck.

My current work around is I use the IR blaster to blast my amp whenever i press the vol buttons on my non-original mce remote.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Last edited:

quartermain

Portal Member
    May 5, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have found JP1 compatible remotes to be ideal for this. I have a URC-7555 (5-in-1) and use it to control 5 source devices, an A/V receiver and a TV.

No matter which of the 5 devices is selected, the volume up/volume down/mute buttons control the A/V receiver, the power button turns the TV on and off, and another button controls the TV aspect ratio. And I have put macros on the 5 device keys so that when you press one, as well as changing which device is controlled, it also sends a signal to the A/V receiver to switch HDMI inputs to that device. Search for JP1 or RemoteMaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom