Needs faster ATSC channel changes, and option to list channels by number (1 Viewer)

DeaneG

August 10, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In looking for a replacement for Microsoft Media Center now that I am running Win 10, I installed MediaPortal 2. I mainly used Media Center to watch and record live TV, and use Emby to manage my bluray library.

MediaPortal 2 lasted about 10 minutes on my PC, less time than it took to configure it. I didn't even try PVR functions, just tried to watch live ATSC TV. I found that channel changes were very slow, around 10 seconds, and sometimes seemed to hang.

Also, we are used to seeing channels presented by number rather than by callsign (7.1 rather than KGODT-HD). An option to use channel number alone, or to use it as a prefix, would be useful (7.1 or 7.1 KGODT-HD).

During configuration, I didn't find an obvious way to disable channels I have no interest in (Vietnamese language, shopping. etc).

I'm using Silicon Dust ethernet tuners on a new Intel nuc 5i7RYH. They work fine with Silicondust's live TV app.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Welcome to the Forum ... and MediaPortal. I've been using MP 1 for several years, and have 2 HDHomeRun units for ATSC. I'm personally not ready to jump into MP 2 yet, but I hear many are happy with it on their home systems.

If you are using the TV3 TV-Server, I can help a little, although TV3.5 may be similar. Once you have scanned the channels in, you CAN rename the displayed name to whatever. I have all of mine with numbers as prefixes (e.g., 4.1 TMJ4 HD). Just double-click on the name in the scanned list, or select the channel name in the list and click Edit. And you can un-select any channel's checkbox in TV-Server Config so it doesn't display in your guide (effectively turning it off).

Chuck

TV-Channels.jpg

Last edited:

mrj

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2012
    Hi DeaneG
    I didn't find an obvious way to disable channels
    You should read the wiki. For example here
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/TV-Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels

hth mrj[DOUBLEPOST=1439275686][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi DeaneG
    Also, we are used to seeing channels presented by number rather than by callsign (7.1 rather than KGODT-HD).

Is this what you want?

Channel numbers
    Select channel by index (non-US)
    Default: On

When you change channels using the number buttons on your remote (or the number keys on your keyboard), MediaPortal's default behaviour is to select channels by their index in the current channel group. In other words, if you press the 9 button on your remote, MediaPortal will change to the 9th channel in the channel group that you're currently viewing. If you prefer to select your channels by their logical channel number (the channel number assigned by the broadcaster or provider) then you should turn this option off.

Show channel numbers
    Default: Off

Turn this option on to show the channel number in the TV guide and mini guide. The number that is shown depends on the Select channel by index" setting.

Channel number max. lenght
    Default: 3

The maximum number of digits allowed in the channel number. This setting might be useful when the show channel numbers option is turned on.

Wiki here:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/1_TV_Client

mrj

Last edited:

DeaneG

August 10, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks to Chuck and mrj for the info.

The wiki illustrates a lot of cool functionality which seems not particularly relevant to the US ATSC market, at least not as far as this time-pressured engineer could tell.

Since all my channels are ATSC, what I want throughout configuration and the user interface is <Channel Number> <Callsign> or just <Channel Number>, with the ability to turn off some channels, e.g.:
    5.1 KPIX HD
    7.1 KGO-HD
    7.2 Motion
    7.3 Livewell
    or just:

In Media Center, this worked in a straightforward manner without need for a user manual. You click "Setup TV signal" and are led through a pretty simple and linear list.

MP2 TV server configuration was interesting, as no channel numbers were shown, only callsigns, in a list sometimes ordered alphabetically and sometimes ordered by the underlying invisible channel numbers. I do not know all of the callsign IDs we watch, just the channel numbers, so sorting through this callsign list was challenging.

I somehow missed seeing the checkboxes in MP2's ATSC setup, thanks for the pointer. I'm not even sure which TV engine I was configuring, whichever came by default with the download. The configurator I was using had the ability to move some of the channels into an empty box on the right, which I assumed meant I was selecting them for inclusion in a list, but it didn;t seem to work that way.

BTW does MP1 change ATSC channels with reasonable speed? For me, MP2's speed bordered on "is it going to work at all?" territory. That's when I gave up and will wait for further progress from MP2.x or Silicondust's nascent effort.

I am in the category of ATSC-only, technically capable but not interested or able to undertake a lot of fiddling - I imagine a lot of MP's target audience will be the same with Media Center falling away rather noisily. Is MP's current customer base largely watching DVB?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @DeaneG

Since all my channels are ATSC, what I want throughout configuration and the user interface is <Channel Number> <Callsign> or just <Channel Number>...
    Okay.

Most people using MP1 and wanting what you want you would use the "show channel numbers" option:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/22_TV/1_TV_Client#Channel_numbers

...as a trivial way to get channel numbers shown as a prefix for all channel names.

Having said that, neither MP1 or MP2 currently support ATSC 2-part channel numbers. That means that option is off the table (unless you're willing to accept numbers like 2001 and 42002 in place of 2.1 and 42.2). Further, it also means you're not going to be able to select channels by keying in "2.1" on your remote.

As Chuck rightly said, what you do have is the ability to edit your channel names in TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels to be whatever you want. That is your ultimate recourse.

...with the ability to turn off some channels, e.g.:
    As previously explained, you do this in TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels, first tab. Just untick the channels you don't want to see and they're gone.

In Media Center, this worked in a straightforward manner without need for a user manual. You click "Setup TV signal" and are led through a pretty simple and linear list.
    Media Center pays for that information along with their EPG service. As an organisation that relies on donations, we simply can't afford to offer that.

MP2 TV server configuration was interesting, as no channel numbers were shown, only callsigns, in a list sometimes ordered alphabetically and sometimes ordered by the underlying invisible channel numbers. I do not know all of the callsign IDs we watch, just the channel numbers, so sorting through this callsign list was challenging.
    I don't think it is accurate to say there are no (zero) channel numbers shown. For example, within the TV Channels section, refer to the right-most column as shown below:
    upload_2015-8-12_16-45-57.png

...or within channel group tabs:
    upload_2015-8-12_16-46-21.png

Outside of that you'd be right, I suppose. You could take that as a sign that your request ("use case") is a little... unusual. Most people (at least outside the US - which is the majority of MP's user base) recognise their channels by name. Number is secondary.

I'm not even sure which TV engine I was configuring, whichever came by default with the download.
    That would be SlimTV Native 3.0. Also known as TVE 3. It is essentially a transplant of MP1's TV feature.

The configurator I was using had the ability to move some of the channels into an empty box on the right, which I assumed meant I was selecting them for inclusion in a list, but it didn;t seem to work that way.
    That would most likely be mapping. As described in the wiki, mapping is for telling TV Server which tuners can tune which channels:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/2_Mapping

BTW does MP1 change ATSC channels with reasonable speed? For me, MP2's speed bordered on "is it going to work at all?" territory. That's when I gave up and will wait for further progress from MP2.x or Silicondust's nascent effort.
    Speed for MP1 and MP2 should be comparable/similar. The way you're describing the speed it sounds like things weren't working entirely correctly. Without log files I'm unable to speculate what the cause of that sluggishness would have been... but I can almost guarantee what you were seeing is not normal/typical.

Is MP's current customer base largely watching DVB?
    Yes.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-12_16-46-48.png
      upload_2015-8-12_16-46-48.png
      37.1 KB

DeaneG

August 10, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you very much mm1352000 for your detailed reply.

My impression is that if at some point you'd like to directly address the US ATSC market, an alternate and simplified TV server setup application targeted at only ATSC or a combination of ATSC/QAM would be very helpful. Also the ability to select new channels by entering them as XX.X on the remote would be required (the remote's "*" key is often used as ".")

Best of luck with your endeavors.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I've been using MP1, as I mentioned before, for several years, and only have ATSC. In my personal experience, I have never used the number pad to select a channel. The Wife and I have almost exclusively used the Guide to select and jump around the channels. Heck, we don't even use the channel up/dn keys, except for paging up/down the guide. And only occasionally have I used the mini-guide. Schedules Direct has been our guide service from the beginning. Once you get TV-Server and SD set up you don't have to fiddle with them unless you find that new channels have been added to the lineup and have to rescan. The SD plugin needs to be updated to accommodate the new guide service SD is using, although the old SD is still working sufficiently for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom