.NET Framework 4.5? (1 Viewer)

cwchapma

Portal Pro
October 15, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Has there been any discussion of targeting .NET Framework 4.5? I'm working on a plugin and want to use Entity Framework and async/await (which isn't possible without significant workarounds or giving up features).

I tried having changing all the projects in mediaportal to target 4.5 and had to add an attribute to the app.config file but the client at least appears to work fine.

Any thoughts?

Clint

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is being looked at but will tie in with XP support discussions.

It will likely happen but there are no concrete plans yet

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We've had some discussion about it, but the main blocker is that not all developers have a VS2012 license or a platform on which it runs. That said, it might happen for 1.5.

cwchapma

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess not supporting XP is going to be a pain point for some people. IMHO, it's time :) They always have the option to stick with 1.3 or 1.4 and keep XP.

Surprised about the license issue for VS2012. I'm just using the express version of VS2012. I guess people probably have extensions they are reluctant to give up?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Surprised about the license issue for VS2012.
    Problem is not only VS2012 or XP for using MP. It's more that a few devs use XP as a dev machine, which VS2012 does not run on.
    But like oxan said, it will be switched at some time.

Plugins (like Resharper) wont work with the Express edition. Also C++ side requires extra hacks to compile on Express edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom