Netflix Plugin. (1 Viewer)

sytone

Portal Member
April 17, 2013
Home Country
Barbados Barbados
Hi,

I noticed there were a few goes at a Neflix plugin. The one I looked at opened it in a new form on the selected monitor, which is not in the UI how I wanted it. I spent a bit of time on the weekend playing with the MP design and wrapping the Netflix HTML site in a API (Yes I know there is not dev API anymore which is a shame). I'm basically parsing the HTML pages and will be looking at ripping the meta data our and caching it locally. I have a prototype working already just using the played history and pulling the thumbnails down.

I do not know much about the UI design so is there any good implementations around that I could leverage the UI design / GUIWindow based classes from and all I need to do is push in the API layer. Also that would mean existing skins could leverage this work.

If you can list them here with source or assembly (I will reverse engineer if I can)

As for the Silverlight player I have wrapped it in a control so you can play/pause it. Skipping is not possible with the remote... yet... The PInvoke approach is not working very well. Bring on the HTML 5 version with a nice DOM to play with!

On a side note are there any nice APIs to pull move/TV data from Movie/TV data sources so I can augment the Netflix Data?

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I used a library for the schedulesdirect plugin called tvdblib (http://code.google.com/p/tvdblib/) ... it mines data from thetvdb.com.... Works very well. You're going to want to make it's use failsafe given that the backing site occasionally is down. You wouldn't want to prevent viewing a show on netflix because thetvdb.com is down :)

Looking forward to what you come up with... Netflix is a missing piece for me in MP.

Cheers.

Geoff

sytone

Portal Member
    April 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Barbados Barbados
    Thanks for the link I will have a look at it. I found the code for 1.3 of My Netflix which did help me understand the Skin Arch. So I am going to take thenskin approach from moving pictures on streamedmp as my first run.

I noticed that the plugins I looked at only use one window/page. I intend to use a few as it make it easier to move between them.

MightyPolo

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Last edited:

sytone

Portal Member
    April 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Barbados Barbados
    I missed the API boat, I was in the process of building a library for the model so it can port between V1 and V2 of medial portal. I have a control for playing and pausing the Silverlight player already abstracted out and a approach for skipping forward and back which I have not had time to investigate.

Happy to contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom