Ongoing New Build - Progress so far! (1 Viewer)

faulknerm

Portal Member
February 12, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've been planning a media build for quite some time now and have finally gotten my act together and made a start.

Specification as follows -

Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Abit A-S78H
2GB OCZ 800Mhz
500GB WD
LG BD-DVD drive
Ebuyer media case

P0150275_C0000023_P0000000.jpg

I'll likely be running Vista with MediaPortal as a front end. :)

It will form part of my home theatre system - outputting video over HDMI to my 37" LCD TV and audio over digital coaxial to my Pioneer VSX-1016 receiver...

It's all assembled now, but I can't fire it up as I foolishly forgot the heatsink and fan for the CPU, so will have to pick one up from work tomorrow. :D

faulknerm

Portal Member
February 12, 2009
Home Country
All systems go Cap'n! :D

I ended up going with XP MCE in the end, for the simple reason that I've mislaid my only Vista DVD :(

At the moment it's a stock install of MP, but I'm going to spend MANY pleasurable hours playing with it and getting it set up the way I want...

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Thats quite a neat little thing for 25 notes! Does it just take a standard PSU then?

faulknerm

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks! :D

It doesn't take a standard ATX PSU unfortunately - needs a matx one, although I picked that up nice and cheaply on Ebay.

It's running very nicely, although I do have a 7750 Black Edition sat doing nothing at the moment, so I'm toying with the idea of swapping it in.

faulknerm

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Crikey, I'd forgotten all about this thread! I was just about to start myself a new project thread when I discovered this one linked in my bookmarks... :D

Anyway, as is often the case with projects like this my media build got rather sidelined for a few months, due to other commitments, however it's firmly back on track now.

The basic hardware for the actual HTPC is still the same, however I'm now going to be running a seperate dedicated file server to hold the actual media (with a gigabit connection) with a smaller HDD in the actual PC just for system use.

The Server
    HP ML-110 G5
    1 TB media storage, plus 80GB system drive
    2GB ram
    Ubuntu Server 9.10
    xfs file system

Primarily running as a SAMBA server sharing the media storage, however I plan to add streaming functionality eventually too

The HTPC
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Abit A-S78H
    2GB OCZ 800Mhz
    500GB WD
    LG BD-DVD drive

Outputting to 37" LCD over HDMI, Pioneer VSX-1016 over optical/digital coax.

The Media
    Circa 1100 movie DVD's, all of which will be ripped to the server eventually
    Around 50 TV boxsets, ditto above
    About 30 HD-DVD and 20 BD-DVD, ditto above
    In excess of 5000 mp3 music files, all of which will be transferred to server eventually

The MP Setup
    MediaPortal 1.0.2
    StreamedMP (using moving pictures)
    MyTvSeries

Today has pretty much consisted of faffing about getting the server sorted, as it's been FAR too long since I last did a *nix server config, but it's now all up and running and sharing it's xfs drive with the rest of the network using SAMBA. The next time I will really have to dedicate to the project will be Sunday, when I intend to carry out a clean installation of Windows and MP on the HTPC and also hopefully begin the process of ripping some of the media (when I finally settle on a ripping program and file format!! lol)

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. I'll try to keep this log updated. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom