New: Cideko Air Keyboard - Great for HTPC's ? (1 Viewer)

Harmani

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I stumbled upon this newly released device by Cideko. It's a mini wireless keyboard with a built-in 3D motion mouse sensor.

It's small, light weight and doubles as a mouse and keyboard. Price is not to bad either. Webshops in The Netherlands offer it for around 80,- euros. It works out of the box without any drivers and has standard media keys.

Seems to me it's a great device to use with HTPC's. Especially if you're doing some surfing/IM besides MP.

Does anyone here happen to already own this device and is willing to enlighten us with a small review? I'm especially curious about the mouse functionality. Does it only work while the device is held in exact horizontal position, or also if you face the keys towards you?

Manufacturer website: www.cideko.com/pro_con.php?id=3

Official video: youtube.com/watch?v=w6Ap_zNunHY

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I also plan to buy this keyboard. Do you have any news about it? Maybe you bought one already?

Hillbillie

Portal Member
    June 19, 2009
    Arkansas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I stumbled upon this newly released device by Cideko. It's a mini wireless keyboard with a built-in 3D motion mouse sensor.

It's small, light weight and doubles as a mouse and keyboard. Price is not to bad either. Webshops in The Netherlands offer it for around 80,- euros. It works out of the box without any drivers and has standard media keys.

Seems to me it's a great device to use with HTPC's. Especially if you're doing some surfing/IM besides MP.

Does anyone here happen to already own this device and is willing to enlighten us with a small review? I'm especially curious about the mouse functionality. Does it only work while the device is held in exact horizontal position, or also if you face the keys towards you?

Manufacturer website: www.cideko.com/pro_con.php?id=3

Official video: youtube.com/watch?v=w6Ap_zNunHY

I have had this keyboard for about 3 weeks now. Its bluetooth works find. One feature is if you dont use it for a few minutes, then it automatically shuts off. Just hit the top mouse button to reactivate it.

If your good at texting on a cell phone then this will work great.

Moving a mouse takes some getting use too.

You can even use the CTRL ALT ESC keys to bring up taskmanager.

But, as far as using it as a remote to change channels, etc, I like my remote better.

I am still glad I bought it.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thanks a lot. I guess you recommend it. I will order it then.
    Remote is definately better for daily use, simple channel changing or GUI operations. There are some operations which need regular keyboard though (like small configuration changes or internet browsing) and I don't like standing up from my sofa every time :D Additionally keyboard and mouse on my amp are messing my arrangement.
    Thx!

Did you try any gaming? My HTPC wasn't designed to do this but with this toy it might be even funny, I think...

bhengeveld

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Considering the price I also might suggest the Trust Wireless Multimedia keyboard. It sells for about 30 euro's less. I'm using it for some 1,5-2 years now and am quite satisfied. I must say one stopped working after about 6 months (apparently it was the USB stick), but through the one year warranty I got a new one without hassle. Works fine ever since (and it has made some crashes) Quite good batterylife too, if you switch it off while not in use.

Nevertheless: the cideko looks way better :D

VIXUN

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just a question concerning "livespan" of the Cideko's battery: How long does it take until you have to buy a new one? I've bought a small wireless keyboard in a couple of months but have to buy new batteries every few weeks although I don't use the keyboad very often.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    bhengeveld
    This keyboard is way too big for my purposes. It would take half of my coffee table ;)

VIXUN
    I don't think it should be any problem. There are two AA (Alkaline or Ni-MH) batteries used, so simple charger and spare set of batteries will do the trick.

Hillbillie

Portal Member
    June 19, 2009
    Arkansas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The keyboard automatically shutdown quickly. I have not changed my batteries yet. So far so good.

Harmani

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ Hillbillie and/or Kesar:

Nice to see some people on the forum already use this device. I'm still interested in buying one myself, but can either one of you answer my initial question:

About the mouse functionality, does it only work okay if the device is held in a horizontal orientation, or also if you have the keyboard tilted towards you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom