New computer with win10 and how will i set Mediaportal up ? (2 Viewers)

JGT

Portal Pro
February 2, 2010
Hello.
I have used MP for several years now. But my HTPC crashed and now I have a new one with Windows 10.
I have a few questions regarding my installation.
1.Should I use MP 2 ?
2.When I installed mediaportal for a few years back I also needed SAF (audio video filters), do i still need that ?
3.I have a soundcard Asus Xonar D2, do i need to make some adjustments in MP for that ?
4.I also use IPtv and VLC player to stream TV through that, can I use MP2 or 1 for this instead ?
5. Can I use MP as a client only? I had an old tv card in a server (with MPserver) but are not using that anymore.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Should I use MP2
    There is no simple yes or no for that. MP2 is the more modern solution but in the end it depends on what you are looking for. If you have been using Windows Media Center until now I would recommend MP2 and its WMC skin to give you the same user experience. Some people prefer the look of MP1 with its very 'colorful' skins, others like more the leaner presentation of MP2. Matter of Taste.
    You can give both versions a whirl but keep in mind that the user interfaces are different. New users easily find their way in MP2 while movers who come from MP1 often have some startup difficulties.

needed SAF (audio video filters), do i still need that ?
    No

soundcard Asus Xonar D2, do i need to make some adjustments in MP for that ?
    If your sound card is recognized by Windows then the answer is no.

IPtv and VLC player to stream TV through that, can I use MP2 or 1 for this instead ?
    Yes, however, you need to add each m3u as a virtual IPTV tuner in the configuration.

Can I use MP as a client only? I had an old tv card in a server (with MPserver) but are not using that anymore.
    MP2 has a client/server architecture so you need both client and server part. If you want to use IPTV you anyway do need the server in MP2 or the TVServer in MP1.

Last edited:

JGT

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2010
    MP2 has a client/server architecture so you need both client and server part. If you want to use IPTV you anyway do need the server in MP2 or the TVServer in MP1.
    If i use MP2 can I run both server and client application on the same computer ?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If i use MP2 can I run both server and client application on the same computer ?
    Yes. The server can be on the same or a different system than the client. It's completely up to you. And you can add as much clients as you like to one single server...

JGT

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2010
    Yes, however, you need to add each m3u as a virtual IPTV tuner in the configuration.
    Do I ad the m3u as virtual IPTV tuner in the server ?
    And when i download MP2 it contains both client and server configuration ?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And when i download MP2 it contains both client and server configuration ?
    Yes.

About the m3u I would answer yes. I know it works, but I have no personal experience. If it is not working you may post a question. Somebody will surely give more precise instructions.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    IPTV is a bit more tricky than that...
    You need to copy the m3u into "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0\TuningParameters\dvbip\" to see it in the Settings of the TV part... But MP (both, 1 and 2) need some special formatting inside the m3u list so your list may or may not work.
    After copying the m3u list you need to restart the MP2 server and then enter setuptv. Here you need to select your playlist as "Service"
    upload_2020-1-23_20-59-44.png
    and after that do a "normal" channel scan and mapping...

If this is working, all is fine. But if it did not work you probably must edit the m3u to change the formatting to a way, MP likes...

Edit:
    By the way, C:\Program Data\ normally is a hidden folder so you need to take care of this...

JGT

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2010
    Yes. The server can be on the same or a different system than the client. It's completely up to you. And you can add as much clients as you like to one single server...
    I have Always had a server running with MP1 tvserver on . Is there a Catch in having MP2server and client on same computer ? I mean this computer i shut down every day and i do not want to rescan iptv tuner each time or something else cause of having MP2server and client on a computer that are powered off every time you are not watching tv..

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can shutdown the system without loosing any data/settings once the channel scan is finished. The only thing that did not work if you power off the PC are scheduled recordings. For those, the system needs to be awake (as you can imagine). If you want to schedule recordings while you are not around and don't want the PC running all the time you need to use PowerScheduler (a stock tv engine plugin that always is installed with MP2 and MP1 TV server) and send the system into standby instead. Then the system wakes up, record the desired program and goes back to sleep after the recording is finished.

If you want to use a second (third,...) MP2 client on a different system than the MP2 server is running on, you also need to power up the system with the server to get access to TV or your media sources or similar, This is the same as with MP1, there also the system with the TVserver needs to be running if you want to watch LiveTV on a different system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom