[Blog] New Default Skin, CableCARD™ Support, MP2 News... and more! (1 Viewer)

el_kano

Portal Member
December 3, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
So with Cablecard support, can someone explain why DRM won't be supported? I assume it's more than just the outlay for the license and is somehow limited by software license restrictions?

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
erm, whats the point in putting in a huge effort to make a skin look nice and then drop the resolution to 720? Crazy. Should have been full HD.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    erm, whats the point in putting in a huge effort to make a skin look nice and then drop the resolution to 720? Crazy. Should have been full HD.

I believe 720 was chosen, in part, to be a baseline where "most" users with even lower spec machines would be able to get the full use of MePo, and be able to debug. etc, any issues... not everyone can instantly upgrade their systems to meet Full HD requirements. There are/will be plenty of full HD skins available for those that have the machine specs to use them.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So with Cablecard support, can someone explain why DRM won't be supported? I assume it's more than just the outlay for the license and is somehow limited by software license restrictions?

I am not sure exactly... But I believe @mm1352000 explains it in the thread. From what I understand.. As open source we dont have a chance at getting a legit license =(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

I am not sure exactly... But I believe @mm1352000 explains it in the thread. From what I understand.. As open source we dont have a chance at getting a legit license =(

Yes, Lyfesaver74 - that is pretty much it.

In order to be certified by CableLabs for non-copy-freely content my understanding is that we would have to implement protection for that content. In other words, we might have to do things like implement a DRM system, encrypt recordings, not allow recording of certain material... that sort of thing. That is non-trivial work. Further, in order to prevent those content protection mechanisms from being circumvented we would have to close access to some or all of our source code.

Doing all of that is (1) a lot of work, (2) costs a lot of money, (3) takes a long time, and (4) is at odds with the founding principles of open source software. True, we don't really have the developer power to do the work or the money to get certification. More than anything else though, we don't have the desire to close access to a single line of our source code. We will not let the requirements of CableLabs dictate who and how people can use or contribute to MediaPortal.

PCSentianl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've been using 1.3 Alpha for a while now, any news on when the Beta will be released?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom