Ongoing New/ First Time HTPC build. Some concerns re audio over HDMI (1 Viewer)

Ged

April 26, 2013
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi folks.

Looking at replacing my WDTV box which I stream to from my PC with a dedicated HTPC.

I'm primarily looking to manage and view my vast collection of blu rays and DVD's and use something like Mediaportal to access. I would also use it as the dedicated box for accessing Netflix which my PS3 is currently pointed at and then streaming that onto the Telly or Projector.

The issue I may ( or may not have) is everything I currently own is connected using HDMI. All my video and sound are pumped down HDMI into an HDMI switch and then onto different receivers for processing. It's a multi room setup.

Having read some posts across various forums , I get the feeling audio over HDMI in a HTPC can be dodgy at the best of times and many posts seem to refer to lots of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth etc.

I'm really looking for a stable setup, running on Windows that is a movie server first and foremost with a great looking interface for the kids and family to use. It wouldn't be used for gaming or much else for that matter ( apart from Netflix ). I'm not looking to insert any TV cards etc at this stage as SKY/Satellite gives me everything I need in that space.

With my current setup of PS3, SKY, DVD and WDTV feeding into an 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch I can feed different sources to an LCD in one room and my projector in another. I'm hoping a good HTPC will simply swap out the WDTV without any issues with audio etc and I can slot 2 or 3 HDD's inside and drop some movies onto the box.

Any tips or advice appreciated prior to me offloading a chunk of cash to run into subsequent problems. Thanks again.

Home Cinema Setup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom