New Hard Drive Advice. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
HI there,

Speedfan has just told me that there is a problem with Hard Drive and is on its way out (this is the drive that I use for recording and streaming, rather than just for storage of music etc).

It is a 1.5TB Western Digital AV-GP series. In hindsight, this was probably not my best buy as I read that despite these Hard Drives being designed specifically for constant use like in HTPCs they are not all that great - the throughput on them was the lowest in a group roundup I read somewhere and I note that the drive operates at a higher temperature than the others in my rig.

Bit of a bad time to have to get a new drive given current prices but I have no choice. I was just going to go and order a Samsung F4 2TB - have got one of these and it seems great, plus the 2TB size still seems to be around the sweet spot. My other option would be to perhaps to buy a 3TB hard drive to act as my new storage drive and start recording on my current F4.

What do you guys think?

Ultimately, should I go for a new 2TB hard drive and, if so, which one? Or do you think that price wise it might be worth considering a 3TB drive?

Thanks very much.

Alex

hafblade

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Trier, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm a Seagate Barracuda Fanboy :p
Have 6 of them since almost 5 years. Never had a problem even if I suppose that it won't last long until the first come up after 5 years :p

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
http://www.cclonline.com/product/53...TB-SATA-II-32MB-DRAM-Hard-Disk-Drive/HDD1144/

CCL seem to be doing the best price on F4's at the moment.

I have been having a look on the web and a lot of people are a bit worried that Samsung's Hard Drive Division is now owned by Seagate. Do you know why? Surely, the drives themselves are exactly the same as before, when Samsung owned it in its own right.

Out of interest, hafblade, what model Barracudas are they?

hafblade

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Trier, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
In december 2011 Seagate bought the Samsung hdd department.

My models are old versions of the Seagate ST2000VM002.
I bought one of the first releases of the 2TB 5900 SATA 300 Green editions for my data dump.
Where I need faster ones I bought 7200 versions of these.

Today I would by Seagate
ST2000DL003 SATA 600 5900 2TB
or
Seagate ST3000DM001 SATA 600 7200 3TB
and
SSDs of Corsair for the os.

But this is only my opinion. I like Seagate :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Nothing wrong with either make, just my samsungs run 10C cooler than my Seagate boot drive, but that is 4-5 years old ;)

600 ie sataIII is only of use if you have a new mobo, some of us still live in the dark ages lol.

Last edited:

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    One quick thing that has occurred to me - it is going to take a while to order a new drive and set it up.

I have a laptop hard drive that I am thinking of using in the meantime - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM501II 500GB. Do you think this will be able to deal with multiple recordings/streaming for the time being? Can't believed that this cost just £29 when I bought it - the cost of it now is plain offensive!

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm don't think that a laptop hdd is enough when streaming multiple streams.
    Maybe it works in the standard cases but if there is some little more traffic on your hdd your stream is running smoothly anymore.
    As possible solution until your TRUE hdd is coming it may be ok but I can not believe that it really works smoothly.
    I've got some issues sometimes with my 5400 hdds if I'm doing something else on the same hdd like copying larger amounts of data from one place to the other or things like this.

Due to this fact I only try to use 5400 hdds for data dump only (like said before) and not for timeshift etc.

Best solution for timeshifting is ramdisk or ssd (be aware of the large amount of data writing and that ssds don't live forever) or a FAST hdd. 5400 or even laptop hdds are NOT perfectly suitable for this. But I don't want to make you nervous. In the most environments it works IF the server only streams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom