Ongoing New HTPC Build need some insight (1 Viewer)

Tau

Portal Member
May 27, 2007
I have decided to build a new HTPC, mostly because i have pretty much all the parts already just sitting here.

The main issues i need input on are what kind of power would be required for playing back HD content? .ts, .mkv, as well as H264 encoded content. I know that there are already issues with playing it back. Here is the list of hardware i have come up with.

CPU: E6550ES
Motherboard: Abit AB9
RAM: 4x1Gb Mushkin XP1066 ES
Videocard: ATI X1900XTX ES
HDD: Probobly a raptor drive because i dont trust them in mission critical PC's.

The only reason im putting 4GB of ram in it because its just sitting here collecting dust anyways so i might as well put it to use.

At a later date when i am done playing with an 8800GT or one of the 9800's i might throw that in there if i find i am running into video issues.

My primary goals with this box is to, play cable tv, if it is possiable play Satellite as well (or if i have to switch to the satellite reciever that would be ok as well) play back pre recorded content, normal content, as well as HD stuff. Play a few game on the big screen, Wow, CSS, UT3, etc.

Now for the game portion i know the machine will have plenty of juice, now the questions i have about it are;

Will it be able to play HD content properly, im sure there is a codec that i have missed, as i have trouble getting it all to play properly on other PC's. Also is it possiable to recieve, and tune Satellite on it? more importantly HD satellite signals.

Right now i have a Hauppauge 150 tuner that came with the MCE remote. Though i am slightly limited in the fact that this motherboard only has 2 PCI slots, and one would be used by the tuner. Is there a tuner that would allow me to tune Satellite, as well as regular cable? And then the other slot will most lilly be used for a Sound card, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

I also plan on hooking it up to my TV through my reciever via Component out of the videocard, and then some kind of Digital out of the soundcard/onboard to the reciever as well.

The only thing that will be stored on the local machine will be the OS, codecs, games, and Media Portal, i will be storing all the recorded content, as well as all the already recorded content on a file server across the network.

ghanz

Portal Pro
September 18, 2007
Ouderkerk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Spec wise you won't have any problems playing hd content. You can use floppydtv tunercards for hdtv. They connect via firewire so you don't need any pci slots. I think this mainboard has a optical out right? so no need for a soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom