New HTPC help (1 Viewer)

kirk1

Portal Member
March 10, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hey Guys,

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what is going wrong, but this has me a little stumped and need to bounce some ideas around.

System:
Media Portal 1.4 with TV Server
Catalyst Driver 13.4 beta (also tried 13.3 stable)
MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Motherboard
AMD A8 6600K 4-Core Processor
G.Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Connected via USB:
Kaiser Baas Dual DVB-T Tuner
Western Digital 2TB external drive
USB IR Receiver

My issues are:

• When connected via HDMI the HTPC will not soft boot (restart)
  • Hard Boot works 100% of the time
  • Soft boot seems to get past post but doesn't boot windows (well windows isn't getting to desktop as the power button powers off and doesn't initialize a shutdown)
  • The Plasma display appears to restart when the PC is rebooted as the display shows <HDMI> then when the HTPC restarts it shows <HTPC 50hz>
  • MePo pauses during direct x initialization and give Direct3D error (I have only replicated this on VGA once)

When my HTPC is hooked up via VGA I have no issues and have only been able to replicate the Direct3D error once. I put a 10sec start up delay on MePo and in 10 boots did not error once.

My questions are:

• Why am I only having this issue on soft boots? Is it because HDMI hasn't completely lost it's 'handshake'?
  • Is there a GPU driver version that is known to work with MePo?
  • My first assumption would be a driver issue, but would a driver stop a boot process only on restart? I would assume if the driver isn't going to work it would be the same on a cold boot.
  • Am I looking at 2 issues, maybe driver related to the direct3D and BIOS related on the restart?
Tests I will try tonight:

• Unplug HDMI during the shutdown and plug back in during and after post. Hopefully that will tell me if there is a 'handshake issue'
  • Unplug all USB devices that may be preventing bootup
  • Double check BIOS settings to see if I have missed a display setting
  • Rollback GPU drivers
  • Rollback to MePo 1.3
Any thoughts? Anything I can try before I get to the rollback stage?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom