Ongoing New HTPC Setup (DVB-S, BluRay, 3dready) (1 Viewer)

DomCash

Portal Member
January 10, 2010
Hey Guys,

I plan to set up a HTPC. I already built one (about one year ago), but that one was for a friend.

I would like the new one to connect to my Samsung UE55D6500. Main use cases will be DVB-S, DVD and BluRay Playback and perhaps some 3d BluRays as well. Software will be Windows 7 64bit and naturally MediaPortal. I plan to replace just everything near to my TV, except of the Yamaha Receiver. So there will also be some videorecording, slideshows, radio/music, "small" games etc.

After a lot of thinking and discussion I selected the hardware. But as the people in this forum are always very well informed and have a lot of experience, I decided to ask you for recommendations, hints and comments. Are there problems in the setup or just room for improvement?

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T, 2x 3.10GHz, boxed
MB: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL9 (for RamDISK)
Harddrive: Crucial m4 SSD 64GB, Samsung EcoGreen F4 2000GB
Graphic Card: Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 6670, 1GB GDDR5, passiv
Drive: LG Electronics BH10LS30 schwarz
PowerSupply: be quiet! SFX Power 300W SFX12V 3.2 (SFX-300W/BN133)
Case: Techsolo TC-400 schwarz, 350W ATX
DVB-S: DigitalDevices Cine S2 V5.5
Cooler: Scythe Shuriken rev. B.

Thanks for your support :)

daos06

Portal Pro
October 17, 2010
Home Country
Austria Austria
AW: New HTPC Setup (DVB-S, BluRay, 3dready)

The graphic card is too largh, you'll have to go one step down and take the Sapphire Ultimate HD6570, which has more than enough power.

I would also recommend you the Scythe Big Shuriken instead of the Shuriken Rev. B and (if you have some money left) the Antec Fusion Remote case, which is on my opinion an excellent case.

You could also take a cheaper CPU, for example a Pentium G620t.

DomCash

Portal Member
January 10, 2010
Re: AW: New HTPC Setup (DVB-S, BluRay, 3dready)

The graphic card is too largh, ...
You mean by power, and not by size, right?

The graphic card is passive and for the tests that I read it doesn't heat up the case very much. Regarding BluRay 3d playback, I think it's not a fault to have some reserves in graphic power.

You could also take a cheaper CPU, for example a Pentium G620t

It is exactly the same thing here. As I read the 2100T is a gread CPU with a TDP of 35 W only. When it comes to transcoding or some upscaling with FFDshow or something like that it is always good to have some power left.

DomCash

Portal Member
January 10, 2010
Where do you get this information? I even asked the vendor of the ms-tech mc-400 (which is the same case as the techsolo tc-400), and they assured that normal PCI cards will fit. This is not a low profile case.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

The Sapphire 5670/6670 cards are higher than normal PCI cards and will not fit most cases. The 6570 card is low profile with a heatsink, so that does fit in a normal height slot. But these new 6500/6600 cards are 2 slots...where as the older 5600 cards were one slot.

I'm currently having a change around on my setups. I'm making my 5670 passive into a fan based card (to get the height down to fit in a case), but I'm converting a 6670 fan card to be passive... (so its silent, standard height and a single slot) *strange arent I* ;)

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom