New multi-seat set-up - Thoughts welcome!! (1 Viewer)

phrontis

January 4, 2011
Hamburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have been using Mediaportal for two years now and would like to replace my aging MediaPortal singleseat set-up with a multi-seat set-up with two clients.

Before I order the components, I was hoping to get some feedback on whether the set-up will allow me to watch HD TV (720p, 1080i) and whether there are some components that I should reconsider.

Server:
Fractal Array R2 ITX Tower
Asus P8H77-I Intel H77
Intel Celeron G530 2x2.40GHz Boxed
8GB TeamGroup Elite DDR3-1333
Cine S2 V6 + CI Modul
Windows Home Server 2011

I would like to hide the server in a cupboard hence the mini-itx format. I was also planning on re-using my 4x1.5TB drives that are currently in my DS410. I also have a 500GB disk that I would like to use for OS and timeshifting. Does it make sense to use an SSD for the TV Server as OS disk?

Clients:
MS-Tech MC-80BL ITX
Asus E45M1-I Deluxe AMD A50M
4GB Teamgroup Elite DDR3-1333
60GB OCZ Vertex II 2.5"
Optiarc Blu-ray/DVD Recorder Slot-in
Windows 7 32bit

I really like the case. In combination with the SSD and the passively cooled CPU it should allow for a fairly silent client. I am not sure, if the AMD E-450 is powerful enough for a client only set-up, especially when it comes to displaying more complex skins?

If I understand the information in the forum correctly the E-450 should be powerful enough to display 1080i HDTV??

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!! :)

Thanks!!

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

8G on the server seems a lot IF it's just for MePo 1, I would consider use of a RAM disk for time shift, as the data is ephemeral after all, loosing it on a reboot is hardly end of the world, and there are a number of free RAMDisk products available, take a look at the harware threads - this gives low power, low noise, fast start on timeshift. SSD for the TV server OS seems like over kill:)

<https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/ram-disk-advice.100930/>

Also, the E45M1 has two RAM slots, so Win 7 64Bit may be better bet, as you can then use more RAM there if needed. Cannot say for certain the 450 based unit will work with 1080p, my Atom based unit with NVidia ION works fine and I'd be highly surprised (but it's not my money:) if the 450 with the HD6320 GPU lets you down.

The Fractal tower server and the MS-Tech client cases both look exceedingly cool, the MS-Tech box especially. Sound and looks like you'll have a rather splendid set up - good luck with it.

Cheers - JCMP

xetic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 29, 2010
    Bonn/Alfter
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The AMD will work fine with 1080p, but 1080i is very hard for the hardware...
    do you wont to use Fanart Skin like StreamMP or MovingPicture/MyTVSeries?

phrontis

January 4, 2011
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the feedback!

The AMD will work fine with 1080p, but 1080i is very hard for the hardware...
    do you wont to use Fanart Skin like StreamMP or MovingPicture/MyTVSeries?

xetic: I was planning on using Maya HD as I am not a fan of too much fanart. Although that might change when Titan comes out. Do you think it is too slow for that?

In regards to the AMD E-450 and 1080i I have read mixed reviews on this and other forums. Some people say that with the integrated graphics it is fast enough for 1080i other say that they experience stuttering.

Maybe it just looked to good to be true: small case, passively cooled CPU and all of that for a very reasonable price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom