new plugin for changing channels (DirecTV w/serial port) (1 Viewer)

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For US users with DirectTV - I wrote a plugin that will allow MediaPortal to change channels on your DirecTV box via serial port instead of using an IR blaster. Plugin requires .NET 2.0/MediaPortal 0.2.0.

It uses the "new" DirecTV serial command set and may require a a DB9 to modular cable (email me if you need one).

binary and source available here:
http://www.obsolution.net/DirecTVTune.zip

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work you put into this product. I don't subscribe to Directv but to Dishnetworks. There are not a lot of testers here in the states so when something comes out for something close to home... I welcome that. Keep up the good work.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    Thanks! It actually wasn't hard work, took about 20min. One of my goals was actually to make MediaPortal easier for US users since DirecTV is pretty common here. Does your Dish Network receiver have a serial control port?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Actually I don't think it does... it has a larger port for printing or something. I will need to double check to see exactly what that port does.

rusten

Portal Member
    May 16, 2004
    Wow - garry, thanks for doing this. I haven't had a chance to test it yet (not running 0.2 yet) but this has always been at the top of my wish list!

Thanks again! :D

tsamb.

Portal Member
    December 21, 2005
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Garry, sounds like a great improvement over IR blasters -- a direct connection is much more reliable.

A quick question -- how hard would it be for you to program something similar for a Sky Digital set top box from New Zealand. (Or even for me to do it.) I just went and checked the back of the box and it has a serial input.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    Should be easy to do for any set top box that can be controlled via serial port *if* you know the protocol. The DirecTV box protocol is well documented, if you can find documentation for your box I'd be happy to help out.

RugbyKP

January 9, 2006
    Wilmington, NC, USA
    The link above is dead. Anyone still have a copy? Is there any word of this being merged into the plugin list of MP 0.2.0?

Garry, I don't know if you've had anyone test this yet, but I'd be able to with no problem since I've got the Low Speed Data to Serial port cable for my DirecTV D10 Receivers. Let me know. Thanks.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country
    My web server is down right now, it should be back up tomorrow at the latest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom