New Plugin "Media Info" (IMDB) (1 Viewer)

jmpiulachs

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
Hi , as suggested I have created a very simple MP Plugin using my IMDB Wrapper webservice (see http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11663)

With this plugin you can search and see the poster , plot , director , year and rating of every movie.

A Picture says more than 1000 Words :

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

http://www.mediainfodb.net/MovieInfoMPPlugin/MediaInfoDBPlugin.zip

please take a look and tell me what you think...! any idea or comment is more than welcome

lampie

Portal Pro
November 26, 2005
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Pure genius :) Should be incorporated in the standard package. Very simple but VERY usefull. Thank you for developing this plugin. I am enjoying this very much :D

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Sweet Plugin! I am always looking for new things to test and play around with in MP.... the MORE the better... Thanks!

jmpiulachs

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Thanks for your comments! :D

I would be glad to contribute to this project so guys, please advice me on how to proceed :wink:

AndyUK49er to install this plugin simply place the plugin dll "MediaInfoDBPlugins.dll" in your "\plugins\windows" folder and the file "mediaInfo.xml" in your "\skin\[YOURSKIN]" folder for example "\skin\mce". That's all!

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice plugin,
    but the problem with plugins like this (no offense) is that they are completely stand alone and not integrated with the rest of MP.

To explain this, lets look at the current (old?) IMDB lookup feature in MP:

1. you can query IMDB info for any movie, recordings, dvd's
    2. IMDB info can be shown in the GUI for any given video
    3. IMDB info is shown in the osd when watching the movie fullscreen
    4. IMDB info is shown beneath the preview windows
    5. IMDB info is stored in the database and remembered for each movie/recording
    6. several views (genres, actors, years,...) are available to have a database-view on all your imdb-ed movies

etc etc.
    Now no offense but in my opinion this is how IMDB in MP should work.
    Just looking up a single movie,showing its info and thats it makes
    nice, but not very useable???

Frodo

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi frodo and mpiulachs,

I asked mpiulachs to create "frontend" to his webservice as a proof of concept. Idea was to get things moving fast. Second phase would be to incorporate his webservice as a queryengine on MP core, that is a task that needs your approval and a bit more thoughts.

So this is kinda prototype how to use mpiulachs imdb search engine in mp.

mpiulachs, great that you actually made this, is sources included in zip file so frodo and others devs can look at them? keep up good working :)

CoolHammer

jmpiulachs

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Hi,

The idea behind this module is just as CoolHammer said a prototype. It has been created as a proof of concept.

Take a look at the source code (http://www.mediainfodb.net/MovieInfoMPPlugin/MediaInfoDBPluginSource.zip). That's the best in my opinion , not the code itself but the lack of it.As I said on previous posts the beauty of this concept is moving 'non critical' code of the MP codebase outside the kernel making the code much more compact, efficient and readable.It also brings other important advantages over the current implementation , for example , what will happen when IMDB changes the HTML code of his webpages? MP IMDB parser is going to fail forcing users to update his setup to newer mp releases, on the other side using a design like the one proposed lets MP abstracts from the task of parsing and extracting the information , also you can use IMDB today and other sources in the future without modifing any code of the MP codebase

lampie

Portal Pro
    November 26, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think its a great plugin :) Your proof of concept definetly worked :) in correspondens with frodo a final version can be worked out to generate maximum effect from this great addon. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom