New Setup, MP1.8 or MP2 as a server? (1 Viewer)

kobberhjelmen

July 3, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi
Been reading through the forum, but my searches hasn't really solved my curiosity.
I'm making a new TV setup - Currently i have a Windows MCE machine attached to my TV.
Moved to a new house, and will make a centralized media/storage etc. server instead of having a big Desktop Rig, i never use.
I'm planning to run Windows Server 2012R2 (Read about the BDA etc. to get MP running on 2012) to be able to run other machines virtualized on HyperV (Plenty of resources on the new server).
Im using DigitalDevices Cine DVB-C/T (2Tuners) with a DuoFlex DVB-C/T AddOn (Another 2 tuners, 4 tuners all together).
The server will be streaming LiveTV, RecordedTV, Movies, Music etc. to small Intel NUC (Or similar) machines through out the house.

Should i be installing MP 1.8, or 2.0 on the TV-Server? - What is the main difference between them?
The server will only be streaming to other clients, it will not be used as a client.

Hope someone can enlighten me :)
Best Regards
Kobberhjelmen

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

it depends on your clients. You need to install the 1.8 TvServer in the server if your clients are MP1 clients. You need to install 1.8 TvServer and MP2 server if your clients are MP2 clients.

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi There

Not an exact answer to your question but I run those exact tuners in my setup and they work great in my 1.x based setup.

However, I use ArgusTV as my back end tuner because their client plug-in exposes more/better functionality than MediaPortal by itself (pseudo-series record etc.). I don't think this works with MP2 however (though as I understand it, we're getting an updated MediaPortal TV engine sometime in the future which will bring this level of functionality into MediaPortal). I do like ArgusTv, very stable, flexible and fully featured.

Peter[DOUBLEPOST=1404399793][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, if you went with Linux virtualisation (Xen or KVM) you could pass through the tuner cards to a VM, and pass through GPUs to other VMs as necessary. I run my MP Server, ArgusTV Server and Logitech Media Server in a Windows 7 VM. Runs really well. I'm hoping to add RAM to the system soon and run my time shift volume on a RAM disk.

Peter

Last edited:

kobberhjelmen

July 3, 2014
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thx for your answers, but im stil a Little confused :-S

Regeszter, as i read you answer, the server version needs to be equal to the client version, right?
    Besides this, to be able to stream TV to other clients, i need a "TV Plugin/Backend Tuner" (MP1.8 TvEngine, Argus, or similar) to be able to stream TV. Correct?
    Is the plugins working as well for MP2, as for MP1.8? - Looking for the most stable solution, giving the highest WAF :)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please read our wiki page first: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/TV_support.

I think there was an experimental SlimTv provider for Argus backend some years ago, but I cannot find it any longer (and it is probably outdated). You might ask this in Argus forum, if someone maintains this plugin.

Edit: I was wrong, it was a FTR provider long time ago: http://www.argus-tv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4005.

If you stick completely with MediaPortal components you should try:
    • MP1 TvServer
    • MP1 Client
    • MPExtended as "interface" (not only) for MP2
    • MP2 Server
    • MP2 Client + SlimTV/MPExtended provider
    So you have both MP versions installed and can test them which fits your needs best.

I personally still use MP1.2.3 TvServer, MPExtended 0.5.x and MP2 10th Anniversary Edition as production system since some months without problems :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom