I'm receiving my new system tomorrow

AMD A10-5700
    8Gb RAM
    120Gb SSD
    DVD-RW
    Wifi and Win 7-64bit.
    adding usb Ariel convertor
    MCE remote

Should I install win 8 over the top of it while Win 8 is still cheap? I don't have much experience with MP and so far test attempts on my current system of old and the new beta MP have failed (can't get it to add video folders when selecting them that are in my NAS).

My system will be for Freeview with PVR capability (don't record much but nice to have) and used for catchup TV such as Iplayer, ITV, 4OD and 5OD. I have a zytel NAS which will also connect to the system. I'm not going to be ripping blu-rays or focusing too much on high quality videos. Trying to get the system as wife friendly as possible. she was ok with WMC7 previously but the layout for finding movies/music/pics etc was poor in WMC7.

Can anyone point me in the right direction if I should either?

1. Keep Win 7 or upgrade to Win 8
    2. Go with the new Beta or an older version? (will the beta let me do everything required above?)
    3. An idea of which plugins are functional and would suit my needs for PVR and catchup TV.

I'll be experimenting around a bit more with settings on my old system to see if I can learn more but want to get my new rig right if possible.

Thanks

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Win8 has some very interesting enhancements under the hood. I recommend getting a copy and use it as it's sold damn cheap at the moment.

To the usual complaints:
    • DVD Navigator and codecs are included, just no DVD player software (who cares...)
    • If you want a startmenu, just pin the start menu folder to the taskbar (it was always just a folder)
    • Adjust it, so that it boots directly into the desktop if you really need to (see no reason why, as you need to start a program anyway)
    • Make use of the Win Key - it really has purpose now! And read up on stuf what changed (e.g. charm bar)
    • Multiple Displays = very good, as one can just run in Metro (browser, viewing pictures, music etc.) and the other in a desktop app
    • Metro apps feel a but cluttered as people have not adjusted it for Metro and therefore it's spammed with entries like in the Start Menu. There should only be one per program now and not 100000 entries for stupid documents and stuff or even legacy like uninstallers before msi packages were introduced with Win2000. Yes, before XP. Will change with nearly every coming update to not clutter Metro.
    • Just get used to change. Your Programs work the same as before, you just have a "Mission Control" for starting them.
    And strangley, nobody wanted to install it and guess what it's has the fastest adoption rate based on sales numbers than any other Windows version before.

Any yes, MP will make use of it. Mini Player mode for example will go intro Metro as well as other stuff like latest Media. Just give us time.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah I've been wondering if I should switch to Win8 next time I do an HTPC cleanup, mostly because apparently it wakes from sleep faster.

Last edited:

Skytravel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2012
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well my A10 HTPC went super hot and switched itself off after 30 minutes so I never got to install much by that stage! It was hot enough to fry an egg on. I'm sending it back to the supplier (off the shelf system) and going to change it up for an I3 Ivy Bridge. No HTPC over Xmas and it'll be a few weeks before my old one gets back to them and the new one arrives.

Just experimenting with MP at the moment so I'm familiar with all the settings by the time my new system comes back. My NAS was the biggest issue where my video folder has a location U:/ and sometimes shows as /NAS:videos so it becomes difficult to read the NAS. I'll play with the NAS software to see if I can lock it to one location address. It's something to do with sharing options.

I think for now I'll be using the Win8 Netflix app with the HTPC as there doesn't seem to be a working UK solution yet. Anyone know if Iplayer and other services will work with MP going forward?

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well my A10 HTPC went super hot and switched itself off after 30 minutes so I never got to install much by that stage! It was hot enough to fry an egg on. I'm sending it back to the supplier (off the shelf system) and going to change it up for an I3 Ivy Bridge. No HTPC over Xmas and it'll be a few weeks before my old one gets back to them and the new one arrives.

Just experimenting with MP at the moment so I'm familiar with all the settings by the time my new system comes back. My NAS was the biggest issue where my video folder has a location U:/ and sometimes shows as /NAS:videos so it becomes difficult to read the NAS. I'll play with the NAS software to see if I can lock it to one location address. It's something to do with sharing options.

I think for now I'll be using the Win8 Netflix app with the HTPC as there doesn't seem to be a working UK solution yet. Anyone know if Iplayer and other services will work with MP going forward?

Thats disappointing about the AMD A10. I have just installed the same APU and it is far better than i expected and the graphics are outstanding.

Regards
    Shadime

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom