New to building my PVR/DVR and need suggestions... (1 Viewer)

Petch

September 7, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey All,

As mentioned, I am new to building my PVR/DVR and I have an idea on where to start, but some of the hardware has me confused. For what I am looking to do, I can't find anything printed by the manufactures in "non-technical" terms on what my requirements are. Also, I don't understand the requirements for the encoding/decoding.

What I am looking to do with my box:
- Record at minimum 2 things at once.
- Have the option to record in HD in the future (currently I do not have an HD TV).
- Setup recordings from the internet.
- Remove Commercials.
- Burn recordings to DVD.
- Play/Rip/Burn DVDs.
- Archive ripped DVDs (I am running out of rack space for all my DVDs and would like to store some old ones).
- Control the system easily from the remote (as with a TiVo).

I have been looking at the Hauppauge line of cards, because I hear about them more than anything else. I would like to have the setup be as easy to use as a TiVo, as I am building this box in-lue of purchasing a TiVo.

My current PVR system specs are as follows:
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz w/ Hyper Threading
Mobo: MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS(PE) 478 Intel 865PE
Video: ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT
Sound: SB Audigy Platinum eX (with the external box)
Memory: 1.5GB Kingston HyperX DDR333 PC2700
Hard Drive Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 454 PCI IDE Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD
Hard Drives: 4x 120gb Seagate PATA 7200rpm Drives Setup in RAID 5 (360gb usable storage), and an 80gb Western Digital 7200rpm Drive (for OS, etc.)
DVD-Burner: 18x Samsung DVD +- R Burner
DVD-Reader: 12x Lite-On DVD-Reader
Power Supply: 500Watt (Something, I forget what brand it is)
Case: Rosewill R6A34-SL

I don't believe that I can utilize my current video card for anything other than HD output, but I am not sure. So given my setup and what I would like to do, what tuner cards would everyone recommend? Also, if there is anything else you notice that I need to change or recommend that I do, please leave some comments.

Thanks all,:D

Petch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom