New to Canada and looking for the perfect future proof USB tuner (1 Viewer)

HPKA

August 8, 2007
Hello all,

Sorry to start a familiar question I'm sure, but I tried searching and the Wiki and couldn't come up with a really clear answer. I've just landed in Canada and want to watch TV. Now, I only have my laptop with me. It makes sense for the moment to get a TV Tuner as I won't watch that much tele and prefer portability until I'm truly set up.

I'm not entirely familiar with North American TV systems (although not entirely unfamiliar), but I'm having a bit of trouble picking a USB Tuner.

Here are my requirements, the only real must have is that I can get it in Canada or shipped to Canada easily.

Really really would like to have
  • Digital Terrestrial (Over the Air) and Cable Support
  • Seemless Media Portal Integration, or as close as possible (good all round support is best)
  • USB (as I say, only have my laptop with me)
  • Reasonably Future Proof (although I'll have to take your word for it on this)

Would Like
  • Possible to use it WITHOUT installing loads of software... just drivers then fire up my preferred TV application (Media Portal)
  • Any included software well written and lightweight (think Media Player Classic... that's a good example of what I like)
  • Multiple tuners (i.e. record one while watching another)
  • Radio Support

I'm not bothered about getting or not getting a remote with it. I'd also prefer not to break the bank doing this... but happy to take advice on what is money well spent. I didn't put "must have" in the first list for a reason, but see them as the most important factors.

Thanks for any help you can give

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom