New to Media Portal, had a bit of trouble installing, but figured it out. (1 Viewer)

Paul Bastow

November 24, 2015
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi there,

This is more of a bug report than a request for help, as I solved my problem.

I am new to Media Portal. I am in the process of ditching cable TV. I have gotten myself a HD Homerun box and am integrating it with Media Portal for its PVR capabilities. I tried installing version 2 first. I found it was lacking the plug in support I wanted, to be able to get Canadian TV listings. So, I wiped and installed version 1. Not too shabby. I am running a SSD as an OS and boot drive so I try to install as many of my applications on D: drive as possible. Seems Media Portal doesn't like this. It was my experience that Version 2 and version 1 each try to go back to C: drive to find parameters and such. Even plugins are affected. So, after many iterations of wiping and installing, I finally had to install on C: drive, redirect my media libraries to D: drive and it only then was Media Portal happy. For my TV listings I am using Scedules Direct. It seems to work well, though I will need to pony up a few dollars to keep its functionality.

So there you go. Not a smooth start, but well on my way and happy enough with the results.

--Paul--
Ottawa, ON

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You can use MediaPortal on other drives than C: but it's a bit of a fiddle to get it working properly. You need to edit some XML files to point MP to the desired location. But if ever it's possible I would not recommend to install MP on a different drive. Especially if C: is on a SSD. MP itself is speeded up a lot if running from SSD compared to HDD...

The TV part of MP1 and MP2 is identical. Schedules Direct Plugin also is working flawlessly with MP2..

Paul Bastow

November 24, 2015
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hmmm, I may have to install MP2 again and try again on the Schedules Direct. I also noticed I had a bit of audio lag on the playing of media files. I didn't try any other decoders though. I'll wipe and then install MP2 in a couple of days. I have some shows scheduled for recording and want to see how it works out first. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom